Chapter Fifty-Four

As the airplane glided down, it was another rainy and chilly day in Scotland, like it welcomed her back. Anyway, rain was a sign of good luck. It was all the usual now as she checked in through security.

"Why are you here?" the gate agent asked.

"To see my boyfriend," Meredith answered.

"How long will you be staying?"

"Two weeks."

Meredith was handed her passport again. "Next."

Grabbing her bag, Meredith walked through the sliding white doors and into the waiting areas. A Costa sat to her right as she exited security, and her eyes glanced around. While some waited for other members of their party to arrive, it looked like no one waited for her. Yet, a rough hand slid into hers, and Harry whispered in her ear, "Stay calm. We just need to get outside."

Her eyes landed on him, and Meredith swallowed, keeping her body still. All she wanted to do was jump in his arms, kiss him again and again. She wanted to hold him. She wanted to feel him.

"This way," he said with a smile, and Meredith followed.

Going through the Edinburgh airport, it took too long. Where the cars waited was too far away, but Meredith kept her hand in his. Clutching her bag, the two blended into the rest of the people. In the parking garage, the two stayed together, even as eyes fell onto Harry. With his hat, pulled up collar and sunglasses, he was noticeable, but no one could pick him out of a crowd.

Taking the lift up, Meredith was forced to keep her hands to herself. A woman was in the lift with them. On the top level, Harry led Meredith away. Behind a pillar, finally, he kissed her, and it had been too long. From here, no one saw, and it was just them-- just how it should be. Meredith wrapped her arms around her, refusing to let it. If she did, she feared it was just a dream; Harry might fade away.

Rocking back on his heels, Harry smiled ear to ear. "I know," he murmured. His slender fingers ran through her blonde hair. "I know, but we have to go if we want to get Balmoral before dark."

Meredith didn't want to stop for a moment, yet she nodded.

After another kiss, Harry led her to the car. Her suitcase was put in the back, and Meredith almost climbed into the wrong seat. Everything was backward again. It had been a year since Scotland, a year since she met and started dating Harry-- and it felt like she was home.

Pulling away from the Edinburgh airport, Harry grabbed her hand, holding it as he drove. It was only two to three hours of driving. Leaving Edinburgh behind-- and Meredith was sad to see it go-- they drove north. Harry reassured her that it was only them at Balmoral Castle. The Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh had gone down to Holyrood for the week, and William and Catherine were visiting her parents. As for the rest of the royal family, they were spread out with holidays.

"Am I seeing your granny in a week?" Meredith asked. She wasn't quite ready to have a full audience with the Queen, or perhaps she never would be ready.

"If you want," Harry said, "but I had other plans. A few days up in Balmoral. Some time in Edinburgh. Some time in London."

Meredith leaned back and smiled in her seat. "It sounds wonderful." While she would enjoy the peace of Balmoral, Meredith loved the cities, especially Edinburgh and London. In London, she certainly wasn't ever bored.

"I hoped you might like it." He laughed. "Tell me all about Germany. Tell me all about your life."

"What if I said it was boring?" Meredith's thumb grazed the top of his hand.

"I wouldn't believe you."

"The same way I don't believe you about your life," Meredith said. "I highly doubt it's boring. What have you been doing all summer? You're out of the spotlight."

"I asked you first," Harry smirked.

Sighing, Meredith launched into Germany, rambling on about all the things she did. She spoke in some of her newly formed German, which she was to forget quickly enough. She spoke about the beer and the people, all the positives and negatives. When it came to the history, she didn't stop. Meredith found herself running out of breath.

Harry asked, "And how has university been? What have you learned?" That wasn't really what he wanted to know, though some of it peaked his interested. He more asked about the rest of it, all her residents and what happened.

It was like a need to tell him everything, and everything spilt out. Meredith certainly didn't know how to keep a secret, Harry trusted, and she didn't mind sharing everything. It was wonderful. Though they had spoken all about this before, Harry listened happily as she explained again. Meredith never knew a person that liked how much she talked and how she talked, but it amused him. He laughed because Meredith's descriptive words weren't as much as deep, but rather they were just swear words.

"And your business?" she asked.

Harry smiled. "I was down in Africa a bit, working to save rhinos."

Meredith almost jumped out of her seat. "This is why you should go first. You have much cooler things than I do."

"I think that's the difference about us, Mere. I've always wanted the normal life, but you were built for my life."

She smiled happily. "Tell me more."

Happily, he did. Harry was very passionate about his work, and he was excited to see it. Perhaps more interviews were needed, but Harry didn't talk about his life but about his work. He was part of numerous charities around the globe, and it was high time that people saw him for it.

It started to get darker as they grew closer to Balmoral. When they stepped out of car outside Balmoral Castle, it wasn't even close to fully dark.

"Let's bring these things inside, and then I'll make you food," Harry said, but Meredith shook her head.

"I have something for you before I forget." Pulling the photo album out of her bag, she handed it to him. "I realize you don't like to have your picture taken, but too bad. This book-- you can fill it with whatever photos you want, but you should at least like some photos."

"Thank you, Mere." Harry smiled. "Now, dinner."

"Um...." Meredith backed away. "There are woods that way." Taking another step back, Meredith started walking into them. "We could use some fresh air."

Harry didn't mind following her, wherever she went, and he certainly didn't matter now.