The DustHerd Queen Returns

It started to rain, the cold fluids soaking through Taka's fur as she galloped to DustHerd's borders trying to find Eagle, her friend. She had hoped he had forgotten that she betrayed DustHerd, it wouldn't help her situation if he did remember. 

The rain was dripping from Taka, she was cold and shivering. Taka stood at the borders, wondering if she should cross.  Taka finally trotted into the territory.  The herd glared at her, they were so weak and hungry. Their grass had gone dead and the battle wounds were infected. Taka stared in disbelief  what had happened to her herd.  The horses were under shelters and their eyes were screaming in pain. 

Taka saw Kion on the leader's rock, staring down at her. He stayed silent until Taka spoke, "what happened?" She asked, feeling heart sick at the sight. "Our medic mare died last week. Taka we need your help." Kion's voice was kind and soft. "If you can give me your help, I can give you mine." Taka offered and walked around. 

"Thank you. What do you need?" Kion's wounds were probably the worst, he had dried blood over his hooves, scars on his belly that were still dribbling with blood, and his herd was in danger. Taka had to help. "I need Eagle." Taka said, she was looking for him, wanting him. 

"Taka.....he died." Kion's voice was incredibly soft. Taka stared in horror. "No, he can't be." Taka was heart broken, her best friend was gone. "I'm sorry, StreamHerd attacked us and we weren't expecting it. We are hungry and some have diseases. Taka, I miss you. You need to make DustHerd right again." Kion pleaded for help and Taka thought of a way to help.  "I will." Taka agreed to help and the rain came down even harder. 

Taka went to the soldiers den and remembered how to wrap up open wounds and treat diseases. She fixed up the herd's horses, it almost took all afternoon. The rain didn't help. She cursed StarHerd, she hated StarHerd. Kion's herd was still hungry, Taka went to the back of the camp grounds and saw that all of their grass was dead. "I will be back with food. Stay here and snack on what you've got." Taka ordered the herd. She galloped off to a beloved friend, other than Prince. 

It was Picasso, he always had love her. Making sure she was safe. Taka entered StreamHerd and the rivers were rising, Taka had to jump far and wide to make it across. When she arrived in the center of the camp, everyone was surprised to see her.  Picasso was aghast, he hated to see Taka so cold and wet. "Taka, are you alright." Picasso asked, his voice was gentle. "I need your help, please." Taka begged. "What is it?" Picasso was starting to get worried.  "My herd, DustHerd. They are in trouble. I know you don't like them, but that is my birth herd and they are in danger of starvation." Picasso just glared. "I refuse to help the selfish herd. They deserve to die!" Picasso shouted in anger. "Please Picasso, do this for me. Once you've helped go back to hating them. I need you!" Taka begged, tears started to form at her eyes. Picasso didn't like to see Taka cry. 

"Fine. But this once. I have my own problems to be dealing with." Picasso agreed, jumping down from his favorite meeting rock, he ordered his soldiers to take a bag of grass each.

"Thank you so much. I owe you one." Taka hugged Picasso. "Now get along." Picasso pushed her away, and they both smiled. Taka led the group into DustHerd and they dropped the grass and the patrol left."Tell Picasso I said thank you." Kion called behind the soldiers. DustHerd gobbled the grass down and went back to their shelters. "When it stops raining you know how to irrigate the new grass, right?" Taka asked Kion. Kion nodded his head. "Thank you Taka. I understand that you want to live in ShadowHerd, but your aire to the throne." Kion desperately wanted Taka to come back, and Taka did want to, but she had many friendships in ShadowHerd and StreamHerd. "I know. But I love ShadowHerd. I'm sorry father, but I don't want to leave my friends." Taka dipped her head down in sorrow.  "Taka please, come home. Be our next queen." Kion pleaded. Taka shooked her head, "No." Taka stared up at him.  "You have your grass, your wounds are cleared. What else do you need me for?" Taka's voice quickened as she felt like she was going to cry. 

"Taka, when I die. You're leader to DustHerd. You've shown StarHerd your loyalties and your refusing!" Kion had to yell, you couldn't her a thing with all the rain. "One day. But for now, it's no." Taka simply said and walked off. "Taka, I love you." Kion said behind her. "I know." Taka looked back and the herd seemed happier. Taka dipped her head as to say goodbye and cantered back to ShadowHerd.

When she trudged through, Prince came trotting up to her in relief. "I was so worried, I thought you were taken." Prince's fur was also soaked to the bone, leaving him shivering. "I'm ok." Taka reassured. "You smell like dust." Prince's voice darkened a little. "My herd was in danger, I had to help them." Taka explained. Prince nodded his head and they both dried up. 

Taka settled down in the mare's den. She felt heart sick on leaving her herd to be without her. She loved DustHerd, it was where her mother and father were born, and she was supposed to be leader of DustHerd when her father retired. Taka fell asleep on her mixed thoughts and she had to tell Whisper in the morning. 

Picture 1: queen quote

Picture 2: Picasso 

Author's Note:

This chapter was a bit longer than the others that I have made.  I really like Picasso so far, I have a model breyer horse that I take reference from. 

Question:

Who is your favorite character so far? 

Mine is Picasso, he is a sweet gentle pinto stallion with feelings for Taka, he loves Taka but doesn't get in the way of her and Prince. Leave your answer in a comments! 

~~Fett