Roy Mustang ~ What's Best

anime: fullmetal alchemist: brotherhood
i would pay to have roy set me on fire not even lying.

note: i'm gonna give the villain a name in this one-shot because in every other one-shot, the villain just goes by 'the enemy'. so, i'm gonna name the enemy 'smiths' and he'll be big and evil with an axe as a weapon.
enjoy
trigger warnings; none

~*~

"Well, well, well, look what we have here."

The hairs on the back of your neck stood erect at the sound of the voice from behind you as you stopped dead in your tracks.

"Y/N, get behind me," (best friend's name) whispered when you turned around, and they didn't think twice before grabbing your wrist and pushing you behind them.

Your mind was in a haze, thinking down all the possible outcomes of this situation, and all of them ending up with someone getting hurt.

You weren't an alchemist, you were useless. You weren't strong like your best friendm and you obviously wasn't as smart as them either, as it was your decision to go out on a late night stroll to clear your head.

But what you didn't know was that a villain by the name of Smiths would be planning his great escape from central prison on that same night, or that he was after your best friend.

"If it isn't the State Alchemist (best friend's name), what a surprise to find you here," Smiths sneered and you saw your best friend clench their fists.

"I could say the same thing, Smiths," they said through gritted teeth and your heart started to race.

"And who is the lovely lady behind you? I'm sure we would get along just fine," Smiths teased, and (best friend's name) growled softly.

"Back off, Smiths," they warned, and the male laughed.

"Aww, come on (best friend's name), don't be like that," he whined. "I'm sure she'd love to play with us. And if not...one of you will surely die."

(best friend's name) turned around and grabbed your shoulders, staring intently into your eyes as they spoke.

"Y/N, get out of here ok?" They begged, and you stared at them in confusion. "Go back to Central and get the Colonel; tell him it's an emergency."

Even though you didn't understand what was going on, you nodded nonetheless and began to run. You ran faster than you'd ever ran in your whole life, ignoring the burning in your chest and the aching in your legs. By the time you made it to Central, you were a sweaty mess but you kept running until you made it to the Colonel's office, your mind racing with fear and worry.

It was late at night and most of the workers were gone, so you were lucky to catch the Colonel in time.

Swinging the door open, you stumbled inside noisily, collapsing against the doorframe and sliding down it onto the floor, definitely startling Roy that's for sure.

"Y-Y/N, what the hell?" He said, getting up from his desk and rushing over to you. "What happened?"

"(best friend's name)..." You panted, holding your aching side. "They're in trouble, you need to help."

Roy looked at you for a moment before standing upright and pulling you along with him.

"Where are they?" He asked, taking off out of the office and down the corridor with you in tow.

"Main Street," you puffed, tripping over your own feet several times before finally catching yourself and your breath and running alongside the Colonel. "Smiths has escaped from the Central prison and is fighting them right now."

"Ugh, this isn't good," Roy groaned. "You should hang back for this one."

"No way," you argued. "I'm not leaving them behind."

Roy looked over at you and your serious expression, and he couldn't help but smile. For a kid, you sure were stubborn.

The journey to (best friend's name) was another one full of running and anticipation, and you sort of were and weren't prepared for what was about to come.

As you were about to turn the corner into the alley where (best friend's name) was, a loud and powerful explosion sounded from the same alley, and Roy pulled you back just in time so that you wouldn't get hit.

Once the explosion died down, you peeked round the corner to see what had happened and what you saw horrified you.

(best friend's name) was lying on the ground - beaten to a bloody and bruised pulp - with Smiths towering over them.

You didn't even think twice before emerging from the corner, tears pooling around your eyes and your arm outstretched to your best friend.

"No, stop it!" You screamed, starting to run towards Smiths when Roy grabbed you, pulling you close to his body and holding you there. "Let go of me!"

You thrashed with all your might and even managed to escape from the Colonel's grip a few times, but on the last time you escaped, your foot slipped and you fell to the ground, about to get up and help your best friend when Roy wrapped his arms around your waist from behind and lifted you off of the ground, carrying you out of the alley.

And before you disappeared around the corner, you saw (best friend's name) smile and mouth the words 'thank you' - probably to Roy.

You screamed one last time until you heard the sound of a skull crushing and your voice cut itself off. Roy kept running until you two were back to Central, and you finally regained your senses once you were in his office.

Roy lowered you onto the floor and at the same time you grabbed onto his coat, picking yourself up off of the floor with your head bowed.

The shock realisation that your best friend was dead had just hit you like a truck, and now you were angry.

"You..." You growled, lifting your head up to stare at the Colonel. "You bastard!"

"You bastard, you bastard, you bastard, you bastard!" You screamed over and over again, bringing your fists down on Roy's chest in anger. "We could've saved them!"

You continued to punch Roy until you grew too tired to even stand up, and you collapsed against his chest, your cries echoing throughout the empty office.

"They were my best friend..." You sobbed, and Roy wrapped his arms around your shoulders in a hug. "They were all I had left."

"I'm sorry, Y/N," he whispered, and you wrapped your own arms around his back, crying loudly into his chest. "But this will make you stronger, I promise."

You continued to cry, gripping onto the back of Roy's coat.

"Those punches are already starting to leave bruises, I can feel them coming through," he reassured, rubbing your back up and down. "I promise, (best friend's name)'s death won't be in vain."

~*~

i need some more fluffy roy in my life hmu if you know any.