25: Scandal

When I returned home after the strange but fun camping, I was confused when I saw not a single speck of dust anywhere. Surely, a whole week without cleaning would somehow make the house dirty. I noticed a note stuck to the fridge.

“We made sure the house was well taken care of while you’re gone, just like the boys requested. Go rest, you have no dirt to worry about! –Manager”

I smiled. Infinite’s manager turned out to be a very nice guy. So I felt guilty that I thought of him as grumpy in the first place. My phone rang, and though my Before the Dawn ringtone was too awesome to be stopped, I was able to answer the call.

“YUAN!!” Emmi shrieked. I thought she would make a really good fire alarm. “I already told Sunggyu and he remembered!”

“Really? Wait, when did you talk to him? What did he say?”

Her voice was an octave higher than normal as she spoke, so I could say she was smiling ear to ear. “He agreed to come with me to the coffee shop earlier. It was closed so we were alone. He said he remembers the “girl in shining armor” but forgot her name. He just didn’t recognize me because I’ve changed a lot. I look more feminine than before.”

I laughed, “Does this mean… you know… bonding and stuff?”

“Maybe free tickets to concerts?” she laughed. “And oh yeah, I’ll send you a link, and check it out if you have time. Ok, bye!”

“Wait! What’s in there?” she already hung up. I then received a text with an url. There were words in there like Infinite, Inspirit, news, camping, and scandal. Oh darn. Did Emmi and I just got involved in a scandal because of what Sungyeol did in the coffee shop? I immediately clicked it in worry. What if their manager, especially their company, did not know about what they did? This would certainly be a problem.

INFINITE GOES CAMPING WITH 2 GIRLS

--In a certain coffee shop called SM CoffeeHolics, a surprise visit from Idol group Infinite’s Lee Sungyeol shook the silence in the humble place. It is said that he announced the names of 2 female employees, and that they have won tickets to free camping with Infinite.

Inspirits started throwing frustrated comments online, such as there was really no contest for the tickets and the two anonymous girls were actually girlfriends of 2 of the members.”

There were more paragraphs after that, but since I’ve gotten the main idea, I proceeded to look at the pictures. Some of them were (thankfully) blurred enough to keep our faces from getting recognized, but some were luckily clear and bright. Our faces were still covered, though.

The way Sunggyeol’s arms were covering us from the sides assured me that it, indeed, was well planned. He put his arms around our shoulders for a purpose. I chuckled. What a clever kid.

************

The next day, when I was about to leave and go to work, Sungjong appeared on the front door.

“What are you—“

“You don’t have to work today.” He held my shoulders firmly while looking straight into my eyes. There must be something wrong happening in the shop. “Let’s go.”

“But I thought you said—“

“I know,” he cut me off again, smiling brightly. “But you would really want to see this.” He pulled me into their van and a few minutes later, we reached the shop. We parked at the back, and I supposed the chaos was at the front. Sungjong wore a wig and shades and pulled me out to the side.

The crowd was overwhelming.

It was like the shop turned into a concert stadium. Many people, most of them girls, were outside, waiting. Unlike what I expected, though, they were all smiling and seemed to be excited. Yeah, just like in a concert stadium.

“Let’s go inside,” he pulled me through the back door and indeed, what’s inside was worth lining up for. Infinite was serving tables. The girls near the door and windows screamed when they saw Sungjong appear and start serving like the others. I approached Emmi, who was happily cooking in the kitchen.

“What’s this all about? Wouldn’t this be another scandal?”

“Haven’t you read the article?” she laughed in a Oh-Yuan-You-So-Silly way.

“I have, but I didn’t finish it.”

"That explains it. Somewhere near the end, it said that Woollim noticed our shop as having a unique taste that could suit their style. And I quote—There is a hint that they will sponsor SM CoffeeHolics and could be used in production purposes.

My eyes almost popped out of their sockets. “Oh my God.”

“Yes, oh my God.” She chuckled. “I guess this is a dream come true.”

“Well, how about the camping scandal?”

“Easy,” a different voice answered. It was Sunggyu. “The company made a fake website for the ‘contest,’ and the staff pretended to be fans. Blah blah blah, problem solved.” He waved his hand around in a bored manner, and returned outside to continue working.

After absorbing the great situation, which took three minutes or so, I finally blinked back to my senses, grabbed an apron, and started helping Emmi.

“Didn’t Sungjong tell you that you don’t have to work?”

“I see all of you working, so how could I just stand here like a lamp and do nothing?” I beamed. As I started helping Emmi prepare the pastries, I glanced at the counter and Myungsoo was there, smiling brightly. That moment, I saw how truly happy he was when he gets to meet their fans.

I didn’t even realize that I was staring for too long until he turned his head towards me. Our eyes locked for a second, and I looked away, blushing. My heart felt funny for the rest of the day.

 *****************************

Love~ Love is in the air~ Dudududu~~