22: Finally, the Answers to Questions

I woke up so early that the whole earth itself seemed to be asleep. I didn’t even hear a single cricket. I grabbed my jacket and carefully tiptoed around Emmi and Sungjong so I wouldn’t wake them up. I took my time walking towards the playground. I was certain Hoya was still freaking out and thinking about the right words to say, so I’ll give him a little time. After a few minutes, at exactly six o’clock, I reached the playground. I saw him sitting on the same bench I was in yesterday, with his back turned to me. He kept shifting positions and continuously mumbled things to himself.

“Hey.” He jumped in shock when I spoke.

“You surprised me!” he tapped his chest to calm himself. I sat on the bench, but he kept on standing.

“So, what are you going to tell me?”

“I..,” he started pacing. “It’s so cold, isn’t it? I should’ve bought some coffee…”

“Hoya,” I gave him a serious stare. “Stop delaying. Please.”

“Yuan… I feel so guilty.”

“And why is that?” Yes, I already know what he’ll say to me, but I want him to say it himself.

“Remember when we played spin the bottle? That day, I realized something.”

He paused, and I waited patiently. “After that day, I thought, ‘So that’s why I always felt the urge to protect you and be with you all the time.’ Actually, I’m normally distant to a person I just met, but in your case, I immediately warmed up to you.”

 “Myungsoo has told me that.” I nodded.

“I think… We’ve met many years before.” I showed a what-do-you-mean expression. He sucked in a huge gush of breath as if it were his confidence. “I’m Ruyeon.”

He covered his face like a small child that just confessed that he broke a vase, and waiting for his mother to scold him. Seconds passed where I did not speak, so he eventually lowered his hands.

“You’re not… shocked?”

“No. Apparently, I’ve realized that ever since you started avoiding me. Also, when I saw Nurung.”

“You saw him? I thought—“

“Now here’s my question.” I cut him off. I gulped a few times to make sure that my voice wouldn’t crack due to all my emotions threatening to overflow. “Why did you disappear?”

“I had to…” he mumbled.

“Please explain.” I tried to act calm, but my eyes were starting to turn wet.

“My dad told me to… He said your father had a huge debt from him that he had to pay, but instead he ran away and tried to kill himself through a car crash.”

So that’s the reason dad did that? Unfortunately for him, mom died instead of him. And I was the one to suffer from everything. He was one heartless bastard.

“When dad found out about you, he was so mad. He told me to stay away from you or else he’ll kill you.”