1: The Loner In The Playground

When my alarm clock rang for 7:30, I groaned but got out of bed anyway. I quickly showered and went to my tiny closet to choose what to wear. Since I wasn't in the mood to be so choosy, I just grabbed what I thought was decent for the weather outside. I didn't bother to cook breakfast since I could just grab a bread in the coffee shop I was working at. Good thing my boss was a nice person to let me eat there. And so, I went out of my tiny apartment and walked towards work.

The weather was actually nice, and there were many people on the road already. The sun was still gentle and made the street signs glimmer. Many stores were already open, and I could even smell coffee everywhere. This was Seoul after all. When I went in the door, I was greeted by the delicious smell of coffee and bread, making my stomach growl. It was probably loud enough that Emmi, one of my coworkers and also my best friend, heard it and laughed.

"You didn't eat breakfast again, did you?"

I sheepishly smiled and laid my bag on a table. "Well, you know I'm trying to save money so..."

"Yeah, I know, I know." she chuckled and waved it off with her hand. "That's why I prepared a breakfast for you." She went behind the counter to grab something, and then went back to me, holding a tray in one hand. She laid it on the table beside me, and I saw 3 layers of pancake and a cup of coffee. I looked at her with wide eyes.

"Isn't boss going to scold you for this? I can just have some bread..."

"Nah, it doesn't matter." she shrugged. "I'm the owner's daughter anyway."

I laughed and then thanked her before eating the delicious breakfast. After I got my full, I started to help her prepare the shop. The time flew by quickly during work and at 2:00 p.m, I ended my shift. With slightly aching muscles, I went back to the apartment and flopped on the sofa. I still hasn't got used to this job since it's just my 3rd day. Thanks to Emmi who I've met after I just moved here, I quickly got a job. I really need to work because I have to survive this world.

At 5:00, I decided to go to the nearest playground. No matter where I live, I will always find a playground and spend an hour or two there whenever I have time. It's just..... It brings out happy memories when I was just a kid. I sat on a swing and watched the kids play and giggle together. I couldn't help but feel happy for them, though I was a little bit envious because they have someone to laugh and play with...

The kids left one by one as the sky started to darken. Soon, I was the only person there.

I felt really peaceful, and I thought about closing my eyes. Everything came rushing into my mind........

My mom....
My dad......
Granna......
and my childhood friend.

Why did they all leave me behind?

One tear fell down my lap. Suddenly, I heard footsteps. Since I didn't want to be seen being such an emo crying alone in an empty playground, I hid behind the slide. Seven men were noisily chatting away and went to jump on several rides. Thankfully, the slide I was hiding behind was far from them. I looked weirdly at four certain boys since they were giggling like little kids. The other three were just standing and watching them have fun.

"Yah, yah! Stop that, we have to go." the boy with red jacket said.

"But hyung~~ We haven't even been here for 3 minutes!" the one on the yellow pony whined. The "hyung" rubbed his forehead.

"Yeah, we're still having fun!" the other one with black jacket spoke and continued playing seesaw with his friend.

"Get up there. Manager hyung will be mad at us if he found out we got out of the dorm without his permission." I heard someone say in monotone. Then, as if on a spell, the playful boys left the rides and followed him. They started to leave and I sighed in relief.

Just as I was about to stand up, the one who spoke in monotone looked back at the spot where I'm hiding. I froze in place, but he eventually turned around and left. Sigh. Thank God.

************************