Chapter 9: Please Don't Leave My Side

Start from the beginning

"The very last time he tried, you started breathing again," Eren continued, exaggerating everything with his hands. "You don't know how relieved I was! You didn't escape unscathed, though. You had the worse fever. Luckily we had Petra here to take care of you!" I glanced over to her and she smiled warmly. I returned it in thanks.

"What happened after that?" I asked, curious to hear about this near-death experience of mine that I had no memory of.

"Well... we had to wait. Just because your heart was going, that didn't mean you were conscious yet. The past couple of days, Heichou has been cranky, and even a bit depressed. I wonder what's his problem?" A smirk played along my lips, but I bit on them to stop myself. "He never left your side, Chi. After all, you're probably the only soldier who's ever surpassed him. He most likely didn't want to lose someone with skills like you. The only time he ever left his room was to either eat or to go to the bathroom - and let me tell you, he barely did either of that." I couldn't stop the smile from forming across my face. With what little strength I had left, I straightened up and pulled my friend into a hug.

"Thanks," I hummed in appreciation. It felt nice to have someone worry over me like this; I felt guilt eat at me inside, and still yet, I proceeded to feel that pain in my heart.

'So it's true that all I cause is suffering?' I wondered. I pulled away and turned, heading back to Levi's room. I guess our relationship was much more than I had originally thought. I wasn't so... I don't know, formal with him like everyone else. I didn't look at him that way, either. How did I, though?

I couldn't answer that.

I cracked the door to his pristine open, peeking unnoticeably. He was still laying on the bed, but now he faced the doorway and his eyes were closed. His chest rose and fell slowly at a steady pace. 'He's sleeping...' I thought. I quietly slipped in and shut the door behind me before sneaking to the bedside and crouching next to his sleeping form.

"CPR..." I murmured, imagining the scene. Wait - did that - did that mean he's... k - kissed me multiple times?! I recoiled in shock and fell on my butt. My cheeks burned a deep crimson. Everyone must've been watching, too...

I screamed mentally and ran my hands through my hair. My head still throbbed and my heart still ached, just... less. My forehead still felt warm. I sighed and calmed myself before leaning in to inspect Levi's face again. It was just like the day I joined, when I first saw him sleeping. Dark, skinny eyebrows that were usually stuck furrowed together weren't, making him look much kinder and less stingy. His eyelashes were sparse but long, the tips tracing along the top of his cheeks. My eyes finally landed on those small, pink lips of his. They were cracked open, small puffs of breath escaping through.

Unconsciously, my hand went up and I rested my palm on his cheek before beginning to caress it with my fingers. His face was... it was practically flawless, not that I had wanted to admit it. I couldn't help but smile at the sight of him, though his features entirely missed his true personality. My heart nearly jumped out of my chest when he suddenly jerked and grabbed my wrist. I froze and a scream escaped my throat, but I quickly covered it with a palm. One of his eyes cracked open to glare at me. His gaze was still fogged with the lulls of sleep. His eyebrows knit together, mouth curling into a slight pout. Personally, the sight was adorable, my cheeks flaring again.

"What do you think you're doing?" he mumbled, voice slurred by his drowsiness.

"N - nothing!" I stammered. "I'm sorry! D - don't punish me!"

"No... I'm..." His metallic eye closed again. "...sorry..."

His voice became softer and softer before disappearing entirely. His grip on my wrist slackened and fell over the edge of the bed. I stayed glued to my spot with my eyes wide. After a few moments, I gulped and shook my head, running my hands through my hair again. It was damp with sweat. I grimaced in disgust and took a quick shower to cool off before returning again to his room. He was still deep asleep.