Chapter 25- Market Mania

A/N Happy Easter to all who celebrate it and have a nice day anyway those who don't

A/N Happy Easter to all who celebrate it and have a nice day anyway those who don't.  Ignore the city in the picture but the tents are exactly what the first market is all about. Enjoy the chapter!

The first place we arrived at was astounding to Alec. It was difficult for him to imagine how so many different species were shopping so placidly beside one another. It seemed more like fantasy than reality. 

   Everything about it was vibrant. The colours leaped out at you, gave a polite greeting then stepped aside so you could enjoy another sight. Most people worse white because of the high midday sun but this looked clean and modest extenuating the beauty of the products on sale.    The scents also painted their own picture. There were the light citrus fragrances from racks of fruit and heavier, sweeter smells from perfume stalls. Of course there were hints here and there of the smell of magic items. It was a very distinctive tang that made the colours seem all the more stunning and the air more fresh. 
    Venders called out in their sing song voices encouraging your patronage. However they didn't crow or goad as Fai was used to. They were more laid back and friendly not intimidating in the slightest with their very genuine smiles. Around the stalls also flew many types of birds, dragonflies and aerial reptiles creating happy chirpy noises of life. None of whom surprisingly were shunned. People were actually purchasing foods to feed them which immediately got Alec's approval for the place. It also made Fai feel a bit less tense. 
    Their presence was shockingly not looked on with suspicion from the hundreds of shoppers. In fact many people rushed over to get a good look Sylvester, Flint and Hestia all of whom were rare sighs to behold. Alec transformed just above the ground and dropped down beside Fai who was trying to keep Flint quiet. Both the leshy and the Illuceo felt nervous of the awe struck crowds and stood slightly defensively. 
    A small old man stepped forward. He was balding on top of his head but had hair just about everywhere else especially on his legs all of which was white. They were that of a goat with carefully polished cloven hooves. Atop his head sprouted two oiled black horns that marked him clearly as a satyr if the pan pipes weren't enough of a giveaway for you. One was broken and short which among his kind was respected as the mark of challenges overcome. He wore a woollen shirt to contrast his fur colouring. 

"Hello travellers," he spoke in a deep wavering voice

"Hello travellers," he spoke in a deep wavering voice. He had a kind voice and Alec instantly warmed to him as a nature spirit. The interest seemed to be mutual as the satyr eyed the leshy curiously. "You cannot bring your steeds into the market but there is an extensive pasture you can keep them in." 
   "Is there a dark field here," Phoebe inquired. It would allow her to walk freely without Sylvester's protective shadows. The daylight would still make her feel uncomfortable and weakened but there would be no lasting effects. 
   "Of course Arcus market is one of the oldest in this land. It would not be complete if some were unable to attend. We aim to encourage equality here."
 "Fantastic!"
  "Is that alright with you guys?" The beasts gave contented nods. "Where is the pasture?"
 "Around to the left," he pointed and all the magical beats sped off. "That's all from me I'm in charge of taking care of shoppers rides so I'll ensure your beautiful creatures are well taken care of," she said staring after them eagerly. Phoebe thanked him and he moved along. She then told them to meet her back there in an hour while she enquired about the tracker. 

So they were left to their own devices for a while. They walked from aisle to aisle examining the trinkets and talismans which Fai kept telling the other two were complete junk. Fern had to perch on Alec's back to keep from being swept away by the crowds, she was happier up high however it was a bear thing. They had little things on them but Alec was often able to trade the plants he could grow or heal peoples ailments in exchange for fruits or keepsakes Fern wanted. 
    Their favourite stall by far however was one of magical powders. 

The owners of the stall were three brothers all half castor half cursed

The owners of the stall were three brothers all half castor half cursed. They were fantastic at alchemy and potion brewing but were famous in all market places for their powders. The recipes were top secret and the gifts they gave a person spectacular. Alec bought a few pounds of the emotion bender which would give the person who inhales it an overwhelming emotion of your choice. Many used it to find love but Alec preferred the idea of using it to distract an enemy. Fai used his only silver to buy some invisibility powder which would be a novelty for someone who was literally a beacon. Fern bought some peach coloured liquid which if rubbed in the skin would reportedly bring out a castor/cursed side of any magical creature hybrid. So she got Fai to put some on and they went on their way with n assurance it would work within the next 48 hours. 
    Thy met back up with Phoebe who found out the Tracker was located further South which was promising since she did not expect to find much about him in this marketplace. It was too open and the man preferred to be more obscure. So they gathered Sylvester, Hestia and Flint who were fed, rested and in good spirits. 

Unfortunately the next place was not so nice. The stalls were few and far between meanwhile taverns and their drunkards populated much of the area which was covered by a huge old marquee which was moth-eaten. Likely an attempt to make this cursed friendly but Phoebe still grimaced whenever she passed under a hole. Instead of fruits the place smelled like heavy cigar smoke and liquor stained breath causing he birds and horse to leave almost immediately. Rather than splitting up here they stayed close hoping to minnimalise the time they spent there. 
   While hurrying huddled along they did not notice a woman stalking up behind Fai. She was small and malnourished with a little hair or teeth. Her small hard eyes were shifty while her fingers were long and quick looking. Fern was the first to notice her but her warning growl came too late as the woman drew out a knife and quick as a flash cut away a chunk of Fai's hair. 
    The atmosphere in the vicinity grew thick with tension like a thunderstorm was brewing around Fai. His eyes blazed with light and he let out a snarl of fury and despair. Alec stepped forward to help him but Phoebe held the leshy back. "He has to fight this one alone Alec. It's a great dishonour for a leshy to have part of their light stolen. It's not much but Fai will lose a fragment of hi power from it. So the woman will pay for such a degrading act towards him."
   They watched on in apprehension as the hair in the woman's hands wilted away and shrivelled to dust. "Do you know what you have done," Fai snarled in a thunderous voice. 
   "I-I'm sorry I just wanted some money a-and-"
"You could have got the money honestly," he roared while the woman just trembled with no excuses for what she did. 
    The rest was not pretty. He turned into his Illuceo form and the huge light beast made quick work of her frail body. Her magic was then absorbed into one of the orbs that contained his power. He turned back into his usual self and flicked a chunk of her flesh away that had been clinging to his hair. The smell of vomit filled the air from those who couldn't handle the sight of the grizzly attack.
They left immediately after that to avoid backlash. Each of them was silent and felt dejected especially Alec who was no closer to finding his brother.