Chapter 24- Not all those who wander are lost

A/N kind of a filler but here ya go @forgetmenot1936 ;)

"I know a tracker that can find the boy but we have to find him first. The man is secretive and nomadic so the best places to try are the markets where he usually does trade."

     "Can we trust him?"
"He's an old friend and we always need friends Fai. I know you have trouble befriending tradesmen after your time with them but if you can't trust them trust me." Phoebe said confidently. 
   "I can't wait to go. I'm pretty used to travelling and all we do here is sit around," Fern said bluntly. The little bear-wolf was sat up on an armchair her ears pricked in excitement. 
    "Mm it'll be nice to get out," Phoebe agreed. "But I'll need to take Sylvester for when we travel during the day. Only his shadows will protect my skin from the daylight curse."
    "Very well, he'll be glad of the trip too I expect." Fai chuckled and they all began busying themselves gathering things they'd need and chattering contentedly. 
   Alec on the other hand was not so content. The spell Phoebe cast was fading and the loss of his charge seemed all the more significant. He knew that he needed to find more bond animals and fast if he was to dim the burden of his power but he was sickened by the mere thought so deep was his grief. He had cocooned himself in blankets and was committed to being as miserable as possible. The dire mood was like a plague and even little Fern who was very protective over Alec was avoiding him. This made his loss seem greater. 
 "What about you goth boy, are you excited?" Fai teased giving his friend a jovial punch on the arm.

"What's the point. We're looking for one person among lords only know how many and I don't even know his name." Alec sighed wistfully.
"Jeez you really are feeling gloomy. Go have a fly or something you'll feel better."  Alec opted for or something and spent much of the sunny afternoon up in a tree watching swifts. The air acrobatics they performed were so intricate that Alec's mind soon left his trouble. He watched their every move and sometimes assisted moving trees out of their way or tossing them very soft mosses for their nests. 
    The next day they were all packed and ready to leave however there was some dispute over how they'd travel. Phoebe would fly and Alec could too if he found a big enough bird to imitate. A small one would be a target to predators and lag behind the uge raven. This left out Fai and Fern though. Sylvester could likely also carry them but both as creatures of light/day shied away from the shadow bird. Fai of course wanted to travel his light speed while Fern wanted to travel in underground tunnels which were unlocked to her by her Earth  bear side. 
    "Well as it's a quest to find my brother I decide and I say this. As a leshy I can technically command all life forms yes?"
 "If you have their permission which they would almost undoubtedly give."
"Right so I'm gonna call us a ride." And he did. It took some time to figure out but once Phoebe taught Alec a summoning spell it was relatively easy. All he had to say was "Veni ad me," in the old tongue as the spell then add on the end I call you as a leshy your lord. 
  On the horizon appeared two silhouettes. One was galloping along the ground leaving a trail of dust behind it. The other was a huge creature gliding effortlessly along, looping in and out of the clouds elegantly. 
   When they approached a chorus of gasps met them. Out of the air dropped the most stunning creature any of them had ever seen. Its scales were a vast array of royal  blues and cool silvers accompanied occasionally by a delicate gold. It also had feathers on its wings and tail. Some were soft looking and no larger than a chickens feather but some like that on it's tail were longer than the length of Sylvester. They created a fan which was currently folded together, it must have been some sight when it was unfurled. It's eyes and beak were both sharp. The pupils were larger than usual a glossy black colour and they were surrounded by bright orange their depths seemed endless. It was clearly a proud beast and held itself tall and haughty though seemed amiable enough. It was a peculiar looking animal like a mix of dragon and peacock. 

The other beast was the exact opposite

The other beast was the exact opposite. While the bird thing was calm this beast couldn't stop moving, it snorted and stamped kicking up great piles of dust. Its short coat was a mixture of colours each reflecting a fire in some way. There were scarlet's and yellows and smoky oranges. It's mane was a golden colour but its hooves looked like coals in their smudgy black hue. It was comparable to a horse but did not have a physical body instead it flickered like flames in a hearth at the moment looking warm and inviting. Somehow though Alec knew if it was angered this beast would burn bright like the flame serpent that had nearly taken his life. He shuddered It's feet also did not touch the ground and it floated like a spectre maybe accounting for its incredible speed. 

"Fai get on the horse now you can travel at the pace you enjoy

"Fai get on the horse now you can travel at the pace you enjoy. Fern you can ride on the pretty bird if it doesn't mind." Alec looked to the creature who dipped their heads in agreement to the statements. Although Alec could see Fai was going to have his hands full with the fire horse who was grinning mischievously. 
   "As for me I'm travelling in the air too, I've seen many chamrosh's now so it should be easy enough to impersonate one," he chuckled. True to his word a few moments later a jet black chamrosh was preening its feathers quickly to check they were in working order. He was more in tune with the two new arrivals in a beast form and they introduced themselves as Hestia the reptile thingy and Flint the fire creature. 
    So they set off to the markets. They all followed the fire horse as Fai knew where all the markets were and because they had little other choice. The horse was going at an incredible pace phasing through all objects in its path. Fai was whooping and cursing, having to turn into light beam several times to prevent being decapitated.  
   Fern was delighted by her new friend and the two chatted merrily. They were both young female hybrids so they found many similarities to base a friendship on. As for everyone else they coated along just trying to live in the moment and not look forward to the times ahead. For Sylvester of course that was difficult. He saw how hard Alec's life would be and it troubled him. Soon though he would meet his true blood family and that would make the pain more bearable.