The Bully and the Hero

Start from the beginning

""Did one of the biggest new stars in Canton just asked for Seb's forgiveness?", John whispered in Val's ear.

She put her hand in front of her mouth, trying to contain her laughter. "I guess the Academy is a magical place, after all."

***

The second test was less surprising, smoother than the first. Val felt like the day would pass uneventfully. She had almost forgotten about her encounter with Alice Green until she saw her on stage. She faced her monster with great decency, a giant figure with grey hair and black eyes, looking suspiciously like her father Aldus.

If he was my father, he would also be my greatest fear.

Aldus Green was one of the twelve Counsellors, a doctor in profession. But the man was no philanthropist for sure. He was powerful, a little too powerful in fact. Frightening even.

At the end of the day a few people remained. Val was alone in the Training Grounds, her friends gone, either too bored or too preoccupied to stay. A small part of her still held her there, her curiosity to discover all her fellow contestants. When the last of them entered the stage, Val realised she was a tiny girl with enormous eyes, constant unhappiness drawn in them. She recognised her right away.

Emma Brown. Her old classmate and Alice's favourite victim. One of the people who had been threatened by Aldus Green to testify that Val was, indeed, a dangerous, unstable individual. Val had never blamed her. The Greens are too powerful to be messed with.

Emma's nightmare was a shadowy figure in a school roof. Val felt needles in her heart just by watching the damn thing. The girl got through it though, by pushing the figure down the ledge with all her strength. The bells rang and the second part of the Exam came to its end. Emma left the stage running, her cheeks red from frustration. Val stood up and walked in a hurry, trying to catch up with her. The chance for closure was too great for her to ignore.

"Emma, please wait. Hold on for a second, will you?"

The girl looked at her, letting out a little scream when she realized that someone was following her. Then she saw Val standing in front of her and her gaze grew sadder.

"Valentine. How... why did you follow me?"

"I saw you in the Exam. You showed great spirit, really. Finally pushing the shadow of that ledge."

Even the tips of Emma's ears grew red from shame. She looked at the ground, whispered a hasty "Thanks" and turned to leave. Val realized she had to do this quickly.

"I want you to know, I never held that testimony against you. They are terrible, father and daughter alike. You had no other choice."

The girl's face was full of tears as she turned to face her. "I wanted to tell the truth, but they threatened my parents..."

Her voice was just a whisper and Val took a step towards her. All she wanted was to comfort the crying girl when someone grabbed her from behind and pushed her violently to the ground. Val fell on her bare back, her muscles screaming from pain, her elbows scratching the floor. She turned her head up as fast as she could, her body sensing the danger immediately, but it was already too late. Alice stood at the stairs, her small black eyes turned into malicious slits. She grabbed Emma's hair and pulled it violently.

"Would you look at that?", Angie uttered. "A true high-school reunion. Boys, aren't you happy to see our old friends again?"

A shrill laugh pierced the air. Val's head snapped to her right and tried hard to keep her mouth from hanging open.

Well, I'll be damned.

In front of her stood two big-boned, muscular idiots. Toby Simpson, your typical "brawl-over-brawns" high-school bully and Angie's sweetheart since childhood. Violent and dangerous when provoked, his sadistic tendencies could only be matched by his friend Will Lauris, Angie's best friend and protege since early school days. Both boys were always eager for tease and mayhem, but Will seemed a little more hesitant than usual. Toby, on the other hand, was thirsty for blood. He looked at Val and licked his lips, like seeing a delicious meal.