55| gone for a year

I placed another one of my shells on the rock, but instead of being my usual joyful self, I was overwhelmed in a mixture of emotions varying from sadness, excitement, and fear

I was sad. I won't be going to Hogwarts for the next school year, or... be able to see Cedric.

I was excited. I get to meet other mermaids from different parts of the world and train my skills and develop my... powers... that Asteria said she hadn't told me about. I asked her at the wrong time, and I almost got cursed.

I was scared. The memory. The pensieve. The death... Cedric... ? ... the triwizard tournament. The champion. Three tasks. Cup. Portkey. Graveyard. Green light. A flash. Terror. Chaos. Voldemort's rise. All of it about to happen sometime in the near future.

Afraid.

Terrified.

Worried.

How do I stop it?

I have no idea. I'm clueless.

"Esmraldia, posture!" Asteria boomed from beside me. We were by the lagoon, with the other mermaids beside us, who looked like squids.

I'm half-human, so is Asteria, and apparently the other mermaids which of whom we're waiting for. It had been two months since that... confusing event at the ministry. Half of which I couldn't remember what happened. My mind must have been losing it, since I saw two girls on a beach.

I'm going delusional, aren't I?

"Now!" Even worse, living with Asteria again and the rest of the screeching mermaids. I hope the other mermaids are nice...

I did as she said and straightened my posture immediately, my back aching already and I've only been in that position for a few seconds. I can relate to Jessica now when she said in the Summer holidays she does gym class. She says it's a muggle sport, well she is a half-blood, not to mention a Weasley diva.

A pretty awesome one too.

Who says purebloods are the best?

That's what I thought.

Which brings me to another thing... I know I'm certainly half-blood because of my dad, but now that I think about it I haven't asked mum about her background...

"They're here! I want you to be on your best behaviour, understood?" Asteria said firmly, and I nodded.

Five faint figures appeared in the murky blue water in the distance, gradually edging closer. As they got further, Asteria gathered her posture and held her head high. What a fake.

They approached us and the three other mermaids examined me. They looked awfully grand, with their jewelled tails and all.

"Asteria." A man swam up to my excuse of a foster mother and bowed, then gently planted a kiss on her hand. I feel sorry for him.

"Shinu." She said back, nodded her head. The man had an emerald green tail and ruffled black hair. I'm guessing maybe Asian?

The young girl, who looked around my age, who was next to him had extremely long jet black hair, and hazel brown eyes. She had a light pink tail, like me, but slightly lighter, with a splash of pale yellow which gave an ombré effect. She looked like a female version of Shinu. Maybe his daughter?

There was another girl next to her. She had light brown locks and crystal clear blue eyes with a few cute freckles dotted around her cheeks. Her skin was in perfect condition and had that natural soft glow. Her eyelashes were long and curled neatly upwards, and she had a beautiful sapphire blue tail. She looks like a veela...

Next to the veela-looking girl was another girl, also around the same age as me. She smiled shyly at me and twiddled her fingers. I could tell she was nervous. She had jet black soft curls (yes even in water) and the moonlight that shone through from the surface gave her hair an ocean blue shimmer-kinda highlight. Her tail was very elegant: a bright silver colour with a blue sparkle, and a few diamonds were scattered here and there. Her eyes were a pretty shade of bright emerald green, and she too had a few freckles on her rosy cheeks and nose.

Close to the girl, was a close replica, I'm guessing the mother, who seemed as thought she's quite powerful. She had chocolate brown long hair, and also had bright green eyes. Her tail was gold with a few violet sparkles that glinted off it.

They all smiled at me, and I smiled back.

Asteria then started to introduce us.

"Shinu, this is my dear g–foster daughter Esmraldia... Potter, Esmraldia this Shinu. He will be your trainer for the coming year."

"Nice to meet you." He said, and smiled. I smiled back.

The girl beside him who I guessed was Shinu's daughter swam forward slightly. "My name is Sirena Chang. My father and I are from China, and after this year I am joining Hogwarts with you." She smiled and I did the same.

The girl with the light brown hair then spoke. "I'm Isla Reneé-Renaldi. I am from France, and I lost my parents when I was little, so I live with Serena." She seemed quite bubbly, she might even rival with Jessica.

Then the last girl with the silver tail spoke. "I'm Amatheia Eclipsis. I am 15 years old and I'm from the Atlantic Ocean. My father died when I was a baby, and us three mermaids will all be joining you at Hogwarts after this year."

My own mermaid friends?

Then the last women spoke.

"I'm Astrid Eclipsis, Amatheia's mother. I have been called here as the Headmaster of Hogwarts, Professor Dumbledore, would like my help on something. However, I don't know what yet."

"I'm sorry to interrupt, but I must show our newcomers around." Asteria said hurriedly and ushered them off without me introducing myself or a hello or a goodbye.

That evil little... HMPH.

Great.

Looks like I'm on my own.