38| metamorphmagus

I swam up to the surface as fast as I could when Cedric began to stir

I swam up to the surface as fast as I could when Cedric began to stir. The breathing enchantment was no longer surrounding him, so if he breathes in he will drown.

His eyes were starting to flicker open, so I held him in front of me, covering my tail. I reached the surface and hauled him up onto a rock. His clothes were drenched and he was shivering like mad.

Quickly I draped my locket around my neck. My tail immediately formed back into legs, but I was still soaking wet.

Cedric was awakening, but struggling to breathe. I placed my palm across his chest, closed my eyes and focused my mind. I heard rumbling coming from his throat, which meant my power had worked.

He sat up and coughed up all the water that was once inside he lungs and breathed heavily. He didn't realise I was with him, until he turned around.

His eyes widened when he saw me staring into his eyes.

"Get away from me." He suddenly said harshly. I frowned in confusion and gently placed my hand in his freezing cold arm.

Instantly he pushed it away.

"What did I do!" I felt hurt that he would just push me away like that.

"You're kidding, right? You're the one who put me down there!" He shouted and I winced.

My eyes widened in disbelief.

"I didn't put you there! How could you, of all people, even think for one moment that I would do that?!" I shouted back. I stood up on the rock and scowled at him, my fists clenched.

"Because it was!" I immediately tensed up and backed away from him. I had never seen him like this before; upset and infuriated.

"I'm your friend, Cedric! I wouldn't d–"

"Don't lie to me like that!" Now I was angry.

I clenched my jaw and said through my teeth, "Prove it."

He stood up as well. "Well for one you were wearing a green dress covered in emeralds. You told me yourself you loved that dress! You tricked me with it, and said you were going to take me somewhere. You said it was an idea for the ball. But instead, you perceived me and trapped me in the bottom of the lake."

My eyes widened. Something wasn't right here. "I never said that... when exactly did I tell you?" He thought for a moment.

"The morning of the day you took me here." Cedric replied. My eyes widened.

"That wasn't me, and I loathe the colour green, and I don't like wearing dresses. I don't even own any."

"Oh really, so it was just a figure of my imagination? Is that what you're saying! I trusted you, Esmraldia!"

Then it clicked.

My mind flashed back to the time when Isobel was talking about what she was going to wear to the Ball. She said she would wear a green dress covered in emeralds that she brought with her. It was Isobel, it has to be. She must have used a polyjuice potion on me.

"Hey Esmraldia, can I borrow your hairbrush for a minute?" Isobel was standing by the mirror in our dorm, and I was getting ready for the day.

"Yeh sure." I replied.

"Thanks." I headed into the bathroom and locked the door.

Once I had finished doing all the usual daily routine things, I went back into the bedroom. I grabbed my hairbrush and did my hair, but I noticed something.

"Hey Isobel did you take all the stray bits of hair out?" She nodded, but I noticed her quickly zipping up her bag when I turned around. "Right, um... thanks."

Now everything fit into place. She took my hair to use in the polyjuice potion.

"Isobel..." I murmured.

"Isobel?" Cedric asked.

"Yes, Isobel. She used the polyjuice potion and turned into me. I'm bringing you back to the castle right now, and we are going to find out why. Tonight."

I dragged Cedric back into the water and we began to swim until we reached the shore.

"Oh, and one more thing," He looked at me. "There's a metamorphmagus of you in the school."