I chat with a demon

The rest of the week passed in a blur.

Ryan and I managed to turn the marking into a dull, incoherent smudge, and cover it with the rug from downstairs. Convenient, how things turned out that way. I read some more of the black book, enjoying the lore and being at ease from showing Ryan it was all nonsense. I called him about it every night, and lo and behold, his house was the same as before.

Friday was a half day, and we ended up getting out at 12:00. I was currently leaving my last geometry class for the year along with other fellow students. They all rushed out of the halls and into the parking lot and onto the sidewalks.

Summer was finally here.

Jay, thankfully, hadn't shown his face. Like most kids, he probably decided to ditch the last day. Ryan suddenly slid up beside me, tapping my shoulder and grinning.

"Ready to do absolutely nothing for the next two months?"

"Of course."

He chuckled lightly and we headed down the steps of the school to the sidewalk. We had every intention of walking around today. After all, it was a little sunny. Wasn't it? I think so. Today was good.

I ran an idea through with Ryan, and he complied. We both walked to a nearby Burger King and asked for some free water cups. Of course, we both filled them to the rim with soda, then fleeing the scene laughing amongst ourselves as we sipped on our root beer.

"Wanna head back to my house? You havent been over in a couple days. We can play some video games or whatever, maybe watch some videos. Kat doesn't get home till 2:00. " Ryan asked me, and I winked.

"Sounds like a plan."

"Don't ever do that again." He stared. "You look like your whole face is spazzing out."

"Note taken."

_________

I complained rather loudly as a shell hit my kart and my dude flipped over for the millionth time in the past half hour or so.

Ryan just smiled smugly in my direction. Like an asshole.

"I hate you." I attempted to kick at him with my foot, and he rolled his eyes and kicked back at me.

"Lame."

Suddenly, the rather loud sound of a door creaking open interrupted our bantering.

I didn't look up from the game, not particularly worried, and took a drink out of the water bottle near me.

"Your sister home?" I asked, my voice muffled by the plastic object.

Ryan checked his watch, arching his brows. "It's not even two yet. The bus doesn't come this early."

Now that sent a chill down my spine.

"Oh." I said, pausing the game for a second. Just a draft, I guess. "Oh, alright." I started the game back up again.

We only got through two more rounds before the sound happened again. This time like the door slammed shut, and then wheeled itself into the wall.

I looked at Ryan.

"Should..should we be worried?" He asked, voice timid. I just tugged at my sleeves. I wasn't really sure.

I wasn't about to be that one dumbass in a horror movie that goes to check out the noise and ends up as the first to get killed, though. So I advised we lock the basement door and wait it out. Though I knew we'd have to go upstairs eventually. We had to get Kat from the bus.