Chapter Eleven

Even though the creek ran behind the farmhouse, it was a ten-minute drive back to Ella's house because there was no direct route. Sam drove slowly and Ella was glad. She wasn't ready to say goodnight to him so soon after what they'd just shared.

He reached over and took Ella's hand. "So," he said. "It really was good? For you, I mean?"

Ella laughed. "Sam, it was good, yes. Really, really good."

"No regrets?" he asked.

She shook her head. "Absolutely not," she said and meant it. Being with Sam had been the most real thing she'd experienced in the last twenty-four hours. Before, she'd really thought sixteen was too young for sex. But she'd be seventeen in just a few months, and she already felt a lot older, given the knowledge she'd come across over the last day.

"Good," he said. "I hope you know I would've waited. As long as it took."

She squeezed his hand. "I know," she said. It made her sad, though, because he was being so good to her, so open and honest and she was already hiding things from him, and he was the one person she'd always told everything. In so many ways, he'd been more her best friend than Chloe.

Sam pulled the car into Ella's driveway and cut the engine. She unbuckled her seat belt and slid over to him, kissing him with more passion than she'd initially intended.

Sam kissed her back just as passionately before pulling away, laughing. "I'd have no problem taking that as far as I could, but I'd hate for your mom to catch me violating her daughter right in her own driveway."

"Sorry," she said. "I was really just going to kiss you goodnight. But then I remembered what it felt like. Being with you."

"Don't apologize," he said. "I feel the same way. And I can't wait to do it again..." he leaned in to kiss her again.

She placed her hand on his chest, keeping him at a safe distance and keeping the kiss from getting out of hand.

"Do you want to come over tomorrow night and watch a movie?" he asked, then added, "my parents are going to be gone this weekend."

Ella raised her eyebrows. "Really? So we could have waited one damn day and done this in a bed instead of the car?"

Sam shrugged. "Sorry, I was hardly thinking clearly with the things you were doing to me."

She punched his shoulder playfully. "Don't blame it on me. But your punishment will be this—the car was good. Your bed better be fucking phenomenal."

"Well, that sorta sounds like another challenge," Sam said.

His voice was so low and sexy, Ella shivered with delight. "I think you'd better go," she told him. "And just when did you get so damn sexy?"

He smiled at her, that confident smile that she was beginning to really like. "I'm just glad you think so."

Ella kissed him once more then went inside. The farmhouse was dark and she assumed her mom and Jeremy (his car was still here) were asleep. She went into the kitchen, poured a glass of water and headed up to her room.

As she climbed the stairs, she noticed she was just the tiniest bit sore. It wasn't bad, not really painful, just something she was aware of. She closed her bedroom door and took her clothes off. There was a bit of blood on her underwear but not as much as she might have expected. She went into her tiny bathroom and used the toilet and confirmed that the bleeding had stopped. She washed her face, brushed her teeth and slipped into a pair of cotton shorts and a tank top.