Instructors

Mulai dari awal

Val shook her head. "No, of course not. He seems like a nice guy, to be honest. It's the whole new situation that's been bothering me, coping with anxiety and whatnot. I'll be alright in a couple of days." She patted Amy's back gently. "Besides, how could you have heard my cries? Weren't you sleeping? Maybe something bothers you as well."

Val tried to be humorous and change the subject, but Amy was panic-stricken for a second, standing frozen in place. When Val was ready to shout at her, she snapped out of her trance, as suddenly as she had entered it.

"It's just... how many people we've trusted are secretly into this? Council employees? And how much do they know about us?"

There was genuine concern in Amy's voice, a fear that made her shuddered. "I think I know what you mean. It's unethical and wrong. But what's done is done. And if we get to come out stronger from this whole ordeal, then the joke's on them, you know?"

She winked with the hope of cheering Amy up, but she just bit her lip.

"There are some things you don't understand, Val."

"What even do you..."

A light touch on her waist interrupted their conversation. She turned around to see John looking at her, Sebastian and Mike right behind him.

"Good morning, sunshine!" Mike exclaimed, excited.

"Isn't it unfair that men look so good in shirts and black trousers, Val?" She had to agree with Amy on that part, putting aside their weird conversation just seconds ago. The trio of men looked extremely good.Dressed in their white T-shirts and black pants, they looked just enough serious for the job.

"I wouldn't even think that such a thing was possible with you three," said Amy, raising an eyebrow.

"It's certainly more practical than a white top and black shorts," said Mike, sticking out his tongue.

Amy opened her eyes wide and turned her back on him, addressing Seb. John fondled Val's arm and she smiled.

"You also look great, girls," he said. Val felt comfortable in her black tight jeans and shirt. Looking pretty was of secondary concern.

"Well, the point is, why do we all have to look so perfect at 12 o'clock in the morning?" wondered Seb. "Because I hope there is a point in all of this".

The moment he finished his sentence, Vanessa Rehberg appeared right in front of them. She wasn't standing at a podium this time, therefore she looked small and cute, much less intimidating than the night before. The crowd still kept a safe distance as they gathered around her, though.

"Good morning. I hope you all had a good night's sleep because the following two days are going to be long ones."

Exclaims were heard from the crowd, happy cheers and anxious whistles.

"There is nothing to worry about", she continued, sincerely amused. "I just wanted to welcome you once more and wish you the best of luck for the rest of the day. I have a few matters to attend to, but I am leaving you in good hands. Peter, will you please?"

A charming tall guy roughly Vanessa's age, with light brown hair and eyes and a wide smile on his face, took her place and looked at them with overflowing confidence.

"Greetings to you all, future Heroes. And Heroines of course."

He pointed gently at some girls and they chuckled silly. The boys rolled their eyes, but Val felt mildly amused.

"A male teacher crush. How original" Seb pointed out.

"Well, you have to admit, he looks kinda cute," Amy said, earning Seb's outraged look.

The instructor continued, unmoved by the events taking place around him. "My name is Peter Smith. I am your main instructor. Let's start with the basics of this crazy journey, shall we? Many of you are probably wondering where we are. We are at the Eastern part of the Island. The exact location is a secret, as to avoid over-worried parents and clingy partners. Unfortunately, you are not allowed to see your loved ones for the course of your training, which is an estimated two or three months time."

There were some weak signs of protest, but Peter hushed them with his hand. "Distractions are strictly forbidden. Besides, you will be allowed to call them once a week and they are all in good hands. "

The whispers died down in an instant, and Peter rubbed his hands, excited. "Before we start with the interesting stuff, I'd like you to meet the rest of your Instructors."

Three figures moved from the darkness of the room to the entrance, where Peter stood.

"Priscilla Smith" Peter pointed to an extremely tiny, thin woman, with mousy curly hair and big wet eyes, "the Library's boss and my wife."

Exclaims of disappointment came from the crowd, but Peter seemed oblivious to their true cause. "Don't worry guys, you won't have obligatory classes or anything like that. The Library only exists to help you understand the process of your journey and the history of Old."

"Ok, he's slow," Amy said, and Sebastian laughed, pleased.

"And our crowned wrestling champions, Beth and Guido Fayde." Peter presented the two siblings standing next to each other and Mike jerked Val's arm violently.

"Val, remember the video I send you once? The two on two pro-wrestling."

She did. Even though she was no fan of sports, she was mesmerized by the siblings who, in their early thirties, were considered the best wrestlers in Canton. "They do look different in real life."

Guido Fayde was a rather short, well-built dark guy, with black eyes and a lot of facial hair. He looked serious, with a sad undertone on his face.

His sister, Beth, was exactly the opposite. Extravagant, having the same dark tones in her skin and hair, with heavy facial makeup, a high-ponytail and heels.

"Of course, you won't be facing them today," Peter continued mischievously. "We don't want you dead from the first day. The task at hand is a lot simpler than that. Harmless, even. You are all going to enter the Training Grounds, and you're going to face what lays inside."