20

"N-n-ni-nicomaine?" Richard called out as he trembles in front of her. Tears started to fall out from his eyes, but it was only visible to no one but him.

"RJ... Lumaban ka RJ... Don't you know that, I-I.....I never actually stopped loving you..." Maine mumbled and sat back on the bench and cried in defeat.

"So did I love... So did I..."

---///---///----///----////----///----//-

24 hours later...

"Senior Faulkerson?" The doctor who just came Out of the ICU asked.

"Uhm, Doc?" Senior said as he raised his hand and stood up.

All the three of Them who were sitting together, Maine, Riz and kuya RD looked up at them as if they were begging for answers and solutions.

"So okay po... The operations succeeded successfully. Actually his brain cells looked better based on the latest scan." The doctor said with such Convincing smile.

All of them whispered short words of gratitude to the Lord and breathed out heavily like there would be no tomorrow.

"Thank you po doc!" Maine exclaimed as she stood up and held the female's hand.

"Okay okay... You are welcome, its a pleasure... But, I have another news." The doctor glumly said.

Everyone expected some updates, good or bad. But when The doctor let go of those words, it was like everything they ate seems to be coming back up again. Everyone felt the tension and the pressure building up in between all of them.

Maine nodded. She slowly walked back To her seat and listened to what the doctor was about to say and prepared herself for the worst news that she would possibly hear.

The doctor cleared her throat and sighed as if to prepare her for the next moment that will be happening.

"Uhm. Okay so, as I have said po sa inyo, Richard's operations were successful. But, it was not thoroughly like that through the whole process..." She said and breathed. She let everybody take in everything that she just said and process it into their minds. Then she spoke again. "During one of the procedures of you know, fixing the external damages on his head, he lost a lot of blood and oxygen. Also his cardiovascular was failing. We did everything we could as neat and as quick as possible... But we actually lost him for a minute, or two. His heart stopped due to lack of pressure and oxygen, and he lost a lot of blood in his system too. But don't worry , we managed to revive him within a few moments, and we got to finish him up." She said like that was all there is to it. But everyone in that place and moment, knew that there was something more painful than hearing and knowing that Richard died, a second time around.

"Doc, is there something more?" Riza finally asked after feeling her blood boil up in all her mixed emotions.

"After the process, we ran a full check on him... His system is eighty percent stable. But he is currently in... Comatose..." The doctor blurted it out like a heavy wrecking ball that crushed every last one of their hopes.

"C-co-c-coma? C-c-comatose doc? Seryoso po ba kayo?" Maine asked and chuckled sarcastically. She stood up and leaned beside the window of the ICU. "Huh... Doc, wag kayo nagbibiro ng ganyan doc funny ako doc."

the doctor just simply shook her head and sighed out of frustration. She turned around to face maine and made eye contact with her.

"Mrs. Faulkerson Jr. I am so sorry but I am telling you all of the truth. You can now visit your husband, and so can they. But only the legitimate family members and requested people can have the privilage to come in to see him. Now please excuse me..." The doctor informed before leaving The senior, kuya RD, Riza and Maine in a paining situation.

Maine stared out onto the wall infront of. She smiled and then soon laughed bitterely. "Hhmm... Mrs pala... Sounds good... Kung totoo." Then she realized something after syncing the words that the doctor said into her mind. She jogged a few steps forward and yelled out:

"Doc!"

The doctor looked back and managed a comforting smile. "Yes po?"

"Why? Why did you call me his wife?" She asked as tears fell from her eyes.

"Oh aren't you?" The doctor surprisely asked.

Maine didn't say anything but the look that she was giving the doctor seemed to be pleading for answers.

"Ay... Saglit lang..." She said and reached for something inside her pocket. She neared Maine and grabbed her right hand.

She observed her hand and looked at the ring that was on her middle finger. It was a silver ring with small diamond studs around it.

"I see... Just as I thought. Well, open your hand for me." The doctor ordered. Maine followed and opened her right hand that the doctor was supporting.
She pulled out her hand that was in her pocket and placed a object on her palm.

"See? Exact same diamond studded ring. And, You are Nicomaine am I right?"

Maine looked at her with such awe and surprise. "Y-yes doc..."

"Ayan, keep that ring. Richard was wearing it on the same finger that you're wearing yours. It has your name engraved on it kaya I thought magasawa kayo. Im sorry."

Maine closed her palm and let the doctor walk away. She reopened her palm and stared at the ring.

"Ikaw at ako... Ako at ikaw... This promise ring symbolizes that. I will wait RJ... I will wait..." She said and wore both rings on the same finger. Then she looked at her engagement ring with Jake. She removed it and kept it in her pocket. She then started walking back to Richard's family.

"Love..." She heard a familiar soft and faint whisper that passed by her side.

Her eyes widened and she looked around her. She looked for something or someone that could have said that, but no one was there.

"Richard?" She asked.

/---/----//://---//////-----///-////----/

"Daddy?" Rosaline asked as she lay numb in her private room.

"Yes baby? Don't worry. You're fine." Charles Rebell told her daughter.

"Si RJ?"

"Don't worry baby... You'll get him back."

"No dad... No... Pagod na ko magmahal ng taong di ko naman maaabot."

"Are you sure Rose?"

"Yes dad... Si Juancho po. I-I love him..."

"If you wish baby..."

"Dad? Si baby nga pala?"

The room fell silent and Rosaline knew what had happened. Tears were shed but atleast she knows that she was doing the right thing.

"I knew even before I forgot you
I knew when you looked at me, I love you too
Even if I forgot everything we went through
I know that the Universe will still lead me back to you.
In a world where I was lost
A place where I was surrounded by dust
I forgot where I came from
Where I met you and loved you
I even forgot and asked myself,
Who are you?
But now here I am right at your side
But my soulful spirit is starting to reside
I feel nothing but with you there's something
Can even Gravity lead us away from our Parting?"