10

"So... Sky Ranch muna tayo?" Richard asked while he twirled his car keys on his index finger.

"Sige. Then stop by tayo sa may Zipline, saan ba yun?"

"Uhm... yun ba yung sa maraming kabayo?"

"Yes! Ano nga ba yun, nasa dulo ng dila ko." Maine was snapping her fingers showing a sign of focus and irritation.

"Picnic Grove!" They yelled in unison. Both laughed at their antics and Maine slapped Richard's arm accidentally for she cannot contain her happiness. Good thing Richard didn't even mind. It was like he was used to Maine doing that to him.

Richard then opened the doors for them and he started the engine. He set up the things they would be needing just in case like water and some sandwiches at the back of the car. Right after, they drove to Picnic grove which was just 15 minutes away from where they were staying. During the short trip, Richard decided to put the FM station on, right after the station became stable, the intro of a very familiar song played. Maine flinched on  the passenger seat after hearing the first few notes from the radio.

'Aren't you something to admire cause your shine is something like a mirror and I can't help but notice you reflect in this heart of mine...'

"Shit..." Maine muttered. Her heart seemed to have plummeted inside her chest. Her lungs seemed to have forgotten how to breath and her mind seemed to have paused. Richard continued listening to the song and he sang along with it, he didn't even hear Maine's curse.

"You know... While I was having the time of my life in the ICU a year ago, this song was what I requested to be played every single hour. As in atleast once or twice an hour pinapatugtog namin yan. Si dad pinapadala ko pa ung favorite headset ko tapos kinoconnect nila sa phone ko. Di kasi ako maka galaw. My body was like in a coma eh, pero gising ako. Grabe, di ko alam kung bakit yan yung naisipan kong patugtugin. Parang may certain memory lang. pero wala naman akong maalala na something special diyan eh."

Maine was grinning while he was telling her about his experience at the hospital. 'I should have been there' Maine thought. But right when her ears are flapping happily of what she was hearing, her heart shattered more into thousands of pieces. Him mentioning that he doesn't remember a single resemblance to the song felt like a dagger through her heart.

She wasn't able to talk or say anything back. They just continued driving until they reached the Sky Ranch. Richard felt the tension and awkward silence between them but he decided not to chide in further.

He slowed the car down and parked. "Well, here we are!" He announced.

Maine hid her despair and masked her face with a smile. She nodded and brushed her hair with her fingers. Richard just looked at her while she was fixing herself. He then removed his seatbelt and Maine did too. Richard hopped out of the car in a flash and opened Maine's door. He helped her out of the car and he locked it after getting the cooler from the back of the SUV.

"Let's go into the lobby first. I-checheck  in ko lang to."

Maine just nodded and trailed behind him. Then while on the lobby, she sat on the couch in front of the check in counter while she waits for Richard. A thought then suddenly popped into her mind. 'Why would Richard check in?' She thought to herself. She stood up and walked to Richard, but he cut her off before she could even ask.

"Stay here. I'll just drop these off." Richard said and rushed into the hallway.

After about 5 minutes, Richard walked back to the lobby where Maine was and he asked her if they should go.

"Yeah, come on." Maine agreed.

They walked out of the building and walked to the people lining up for the carousel. After a few minutes, it was their turn to ride the carousel. Maine giddily rushed to the biggest horse with the yellow hair. Richard helped her climb up since it was three feet above the ground. She held on to the post and Richard just stood beside her as they waited for the ride to start moving.

The machines then started purring and the carousel and all the horses on it started moving slowly up and down. Maine then had a smile that lit up the whole city. She had the corners of her mouth ear to ear and her eyes are squinted while facing Richard as if to tell her that she was having a real fun.

Richard felt his heart beat out of his ribcage again. It was as if World War II was being reenacted all over again inside his body. The smile of Maine had that effect on him that also made him smile and feel giddy.

When the carousel was moving at its fastest state, Maine's smile became brighter, if that was even possible. Richard then took the chance to take his phone out and take a picture of her. She was too occupied in living a five year old's dream to had noticed Richard taking almost twenty of her candid photos. Then before the carousel halted to a stop, He took a picture of him looking at her contently while she smiled unaware of her environment.

When the ride stopped, Richard helped Maine to hop off the horse and they walked down to the small souvenir stalls around. Maine bought a small keychain and stuffed it in her pocket. Richard didn't notice what she bought for he was busy buying too. He returned to where Maine bought the keychain and he gave her a medium sized stuffed toy of a horse with a yellow hair. Just like what she just rode.

"Wow. Di mo na dapat binili to Chard. Pero Thank you." Maine said as she hugged the fluffy white horse.

"Wala naman yun. Uhm wait meron pa." Richard said as he searched his back pocket. He lifted his hand with a black and yellow leather bracelet with a glassy plate on it where it has something written on it.

"Nako, ikaw talaga. Salamat." Maine thanked as she wore the bracelet. She read what was written on it.

'Ms. Maine'

"Thank you chard. Wait intayin mo ko dito." Maine aid and walked to a nearby stall. She came back to Richard with the exact same bracelet as what he gave her.

"Wow naman. Terno, salamat." Richard said and wore the bracelet. When he rotated it, he saw what was written on it...

"Tans"