Chapter Eight

Chapter Eight

Chapter Eight

Glancing at Jacob, I force him to the floor and quickly tug my blanket over him. The door opens fully, and I see my mother's grim face. The mother I had come to want around, the one who offered to cook dinner and watched us with pride, is gone. I shook the disappointment off, knowing it had been a hopeless dream to think my mom was back to the way she used to be.

"Walter wants you to clean the kitchen. We're going to watch some tv, so you're going to have to keep quiet. Okay?" I nod quickly, not moving in case it somehow allows a view of Jacob. "That means now Catherine." When I still hold still, I see anger cloud her face, and I reluctantly leave my place to approach her. As swiftly as the anger had flooded her face, it backtracked just as fast.

As I shut the door behind me, I glance back and let my gaze rest on the blanket covering Jacob. Sighing, I close the door and follow my mother down the hallway. She goes to sit on the couch next to her husband, and I see him send me a look of disgust. Knowing it would only provoke him, I hold back my own look. Wanting to get it down as fast as I can, I turn on the faucet and begin.

Not long after, the kitchen is spotless, so I tell my parents and ask if they needed anything. Answering in the negative, I casually walk to the hall, but as soon as they are out of sight, I pick up my pace and rush to my door. After shutting it behind me, I lean my head back and close my eyes for a moment. Even as I fight it, I feel grief rise in me at having to wait to leave this place. I push it all away, and open my eyes.

"Cat? Are you okay?" Slowly, I turn my head in Jacob's direction, letting a small smile slip through when I see him still on the floor. In answer, I simply nod and walk carefully through the maze of boxes littering the ground.

"It'll be a while before you get to leave. I'm so sorry about this." He just shakes his head as I lay down on my bed, stretching out as much as my ribs let me. Closing my eyes once more, I hear Jacob stand up and drape the blanket over me. He then lays down beside me, and I feel his gaze on my face.

"I've actually been having fun. Haven't you?" Thinking about it, I realize I was having a lot more fun than I've had in a long while. I turn my head to him and nod. A smile finds its way to my face as we lay there, simply looking at each other. After a while, I let my eyes close and fight sleep as Jacob's breathing slows down beside me.

------------

When I wake up, I just lay there. For once, the fear is gone and I feel safe and warm. The pain is dulled and I feel like nothing can hurt me. I bask in the feeling because even as I feel it, I know it won't last. I know something will happen when I'm fully awake to take away the total peace I feel. I feel my mind coming back as I become more aware of my surroundings. My ribs are aching dully, and my face is pressed against my pillow. Thinking it through, I realize my pillow is moving slightly, as though it is breathing. This makes me back up quickly, opening my eyes as I do.

The first thing I see is Jacob. His face is relaxed and it causes me to smile. His arm slides off of my waist, where it had been resting. When it leaves, it takes away some of the warmth and safety I had felt with it. After my inspection of Jacob, I realize this means that we fell asleep and I look to my clock. It tells me there's a small amount of time before my parents will be awake, so I try to wake Jacob up. I shake his shoulder gently, whispering his name. Groaning, he grips my waist once more and drags me to his chest. I freeze. Butterflies are going crazy in my stomach. I feel a blush spread across my cheeks. Jacob buries his face in the crook of my neck, nuzzling me and causing me to giggle slightly.