Prolog

Prolog

Everybody want a happily ever after. Some people don't admit to wanting it, but we all do. Even if we know that with everything evil and bad in the world, we don't have a snowflake's chance in hell of getting one.All good things are flukes. After they happen, Life rushes in to take it back and laugh in your face. Good things don't stick. At least, not for me.

Although I know I won't ever get a happily ever after, I dream of getting a family. I want a big family that will love me unconditionally. I don't want a picket fence and a perfect husband. Sure, the perfect husband would be nice, but all I need is love.

I don't want the pain of knowing that any day could be my last and having too much responsibility. I don't want only having the love of two people for the rest of my life, or needing to make sure all three of us make it through each day. Of course, without them, I wouldn't fight so hard to stay alive. I wouldn't have any fight left.

Those two people I have aren't my parents, like any of you might have expected them to be. Those people who I fight so hard for are my twin little brother and sister. Their names are Brandon and Elizabeth. They are both ten years old. I am Catherine, and I am seventeen years old. For the past three years, I have been keeping all of us as safe as I can. To do this, I have to let myself get beaten. If I'm beaten, Brandon and Elizabeth are safe. My pain brings them good health. I would rather receive all of it than have them get any.

I mean, it's not like our parents would help them. It's their fault.They are the ones to try to hurt us after all. We can't tell though. If we tell, we won't have each other again. Once I turn eighteen, I will be taking full custody and nobody will hurt them ever again. I will always protect them.