Chapter Seven

Chapter Seven

I stare out of the window in Jacob's car, watching the trees pass me and listening to the quiet radio he's fiddling with. Hearing a song I like, I quietly hum to myself, and see him look at me through the corner of my eye. Hearing my hum, he places his hand on the console between us, tapping out a soft beat. I smile softly as I focus on the passing houses once more, completely at ease. 

Jacob's voice drifts through the car to me. "So, how was art?" I hear a touch of nerves in his voice, and look over to see him with a light blush, one he seems to wear constantly around me. 

"It was fine. I just drew Liza and B from yesterday. Mr. Hernan actually asked me to enter an art competition that's coming up." I smile as talk to him, proud I have some talent in something. He smiles back at me, his blue eyes shining into mine. He breaks eye contact as we pull into the parking lot of the diner. He quickly swings into an available space, and gets out of the car. I open my door and he frowns at me while he approaches me. 

"I was going to open your door for you." He looks honestly disappointed that I didn't allow him to do so. Rolling my eyes, I tell him it isn't necessary, Seeing him continue with his frown, I sigh and roll my eyes again. Opening my door, I sit back in my seat and shut it behind me. He looks up at me curiously, and doesn't move to open my door. I gesture to him, and a wide smile breaks out as he understands.

He practically skips the few steps to my door and swings the door open. I hold my ribs as I step out, biting my lip to focus on something else. He offers up his hand to help me out and I accept with another roll of my eyes. Despite the absurdity, or perhaps because of it, a smile slips onto my lips as well as a quiet giggle. Jacob's face brightens more, and it causes my smile to widen just a touch more. He shuts the door behind me, and places my hand in the crook of his elbow. I laugh again as he guides me into the diner. 

Most of the tables are full, with just Miranda rushing about the whole diner. She greets us with a harried smile and tells us to seat ourselves. "So, what's this competition you entered?" Jacob restarts the conversation we were having in the car as we look over the menu. Not very hungry, I decide on just a grilled cheese. Placing my menu on the table, I look back up at Jacob.

"Mr. Hernan said that every week the judges would choose a different thing for us to draw and people would be chosen to continue or not. The first place winner gets 500 dollars apparently, so I felt like it was a good chance for some cash. Even if I lose, it won't hurt. You said you had English this morning, right? What did you guys do?" We begin talking about school, and when Miranda comes for our orders we keep talking after she leaves.

Plates are set down in front of us, and our food looks delicious. I pick up my grilled cheese and begin to eat. bout halfway through, I'm full, so I place what's left back on the plate in front of me. Sipping on my water, I ask Jacob what time it is.

"Um, it's three o'clock. Why?" I nod, figuring that I had twenty minutes before I should start walking to pick up the kids.

"I just needed to know when I'd have to leave. I need to pick up the kids and get home. We also need to run to the store if I need to cook dinner." I frown as I think everything over, not even knowing where the store was here. Looking at Jacob, I start to ask him where it was, when I see a strange look on his face. "What?" I ask, a small smile gracing my lips.

"Do you always cook dinner and pick up Brandon and Eliza? Shouldn't your parents do that?" Hiding the flash of panic at the mention of my parents, I shrug casually.

"They work late. My dad is a lawyer and my mom is a paralegal. They have awful hours." This much is true, I simply avoid mentioning that they're horrible parents when they are there. He nods, and leans back, his burger finished.