Chapter Five

Chapter Five

Jacob's POV

"Cat!" Even from a distance, I could see the pain, surprise, and panic flash across her beautiful face. Her dark hair was let down like yesterday, and the fading bruises were completely gone. By the time I had reached them, her face was blank. "Hey Cat. Not even going to say thank you? Or goodbye?" I kept my voice light, and knew my grin was probably bigger than normal.

"Thank you. Bye." She then turned and -slowly- walked away. I skipped back to their group. "Why are you still here? I said goodbye and thank you. Just like you wanted. Now, today hasn't been my best day, so if you'll just excuse us, we'd really like to be on our way."

"Ouch. You know, that really hurts me. Right here." When I say this, I plant my hand over my heart and pout the tiniest bit, winking at Eliza when her sister rolled her eyes. “I think the only thing that will make this fatal wound go away is if you let me buy you guys ice cream. It's only fair you know. Yesterday, didn't you promise them ice cream? I interrupted the first time, but I could still hear you when you said you'd get them some tomorrow. So I can buy, if you go with us."

Anger sparked in her eyes, as well as a hint of defeat. "Did you just assume I would let you take them without me going along?" I quickly shake my head, stuttering out excuses about how I was kidding. She shakes her head at me. I stop talking. "Kids, do you want ice cream?" Shouts of yes and gleeful yahooing cause her to wince. "Then be on your very best behavior. And when we get there, don't give them a hard time." They agree, and start skipping off in front of us.

Cat doesn't take her eyes off them for a moment, making sure there isn't any danger around them. When they get too far away, she asks me to whistle loudly, making them look back. She motions that they come closer, and the walk continues like that. When we need to make a turn, I whistle and yell for them to wait. Once we're all together, I allow them to keep walking. No ten year olds I know are this well trained.

"They're good kids." At these words, Cat glances at me for half a second, then goes back to watching them.

A faint smile is on her lips when she says,"Yeah. They are."

When we enter the shop, the kids rush to the counters while Cat goes towards the booths. I follow her questioningly. "I'll pay for your ice cream too. Do you want any?" She shakes her head and tells me she's full. She also calls the gesture sweet, which I make a face at. "Men aren't sweet," is all I say before approaching the counter. Brandon and Eliza are calmly discussing the pro's and con's of each flavor of ice cream available, as well as deciding which flavors taste the best together. It is rather strange to see, actually. No ten year old is that serious, and yet here are two. "Um, guys, it's just ice cream. I'll take you guys here again if you want to, but just pick which you want now, and keep the others in mind for next time. Now, which flavor is Cat's favorite?" The kids look at me shocked.

"You'll take us here again?" Creepily, they say this at the say time. Hesitantly, I nod. They smack high fives with each other at the same time, adding to the creepy effect. Then they jerk their heads back in my direction. At the same time. Again. "Chocolate is Cat's favorite ice cream. But she won't want any today. She doesn't feel too good." They said chocolate at the same time, but the rest was said by Eliza.

"Why, do you like her? Because she won't go for you. She never goes for anyone. She's not very social. Don't tell her we're telling you this though," Brandon says this, completely serious. I nod, and continue looking at Cat. I've been looking at her since Eliza said she didn't feel very good. It showed. She was lying down on the booth, holding her stomach together. It looked like she was going to throw up.

"Yeah. I do like her." When I said it, I blushed slightly. "I mean, as a friend! I don't like her like that! Pshhh! I only met her yesterday... and, yeah. I like your sister." At this point I decided it would be best to just shut up.