Chapter One

Chapter One

Our family has moved a lot over the past three years. Moving isn't hard for me any more, as I don't let myself have any friends. Friends complicate things. I just stand back in the shadows, keeping good grades and not attracting any attention. If I made friends, they could find out something they shouldn't. They would find out about the beatings. I dress in clothes that shield me from any stares, clothes to help me blend. I keep my hair long, to make it easier to hide behind.

For me, moving is easy. For Brandon and Elizabeth, it gets a bit trickier. They don't want to leave behind the few friends they have made. They know not to invite anyone over, but not to stay in the shadows. On the bright side however, they also know not to talk about what I endure daily.

-------------

"Please Cat? Don't make us move. There's a birthday party for Liddy tomorrow! It'll be my first party and there will be cake, and ice cream, and balloons, and a pool, and presents, and cake, and all my friends! Please, please, please, please, ple-"

"Liza! Cut it out! I'm sorry, but you know it isn't up to me," I sigh wearily. She looks down, trying to avoid showing me the tears welling in her eyes.

In a small voice, she replies to me, "I'm sorry Cat. I just wanted to have fun with my friends before we have to leave. It's not important."

Seeing her so sad and pitiful pulls my heartstrings, so I think it through. If we're leaving Saturday at around noon, and the party begins at ten, she could go for a couple hours. "What if I convince Mom and Dad to let you go for the first part of it and then we get in the car at noon."

Hope and happiness swirl in the depths of her green eyes as she hops up and down, thanking me profusely. I smile down sadly at her, not willing to tell her not to get her hopes up. In order to get her to this party, I'll have to sneak her out. Then I'll get punished. But the happiness radiating from Liza made it worth it. It's not like punishment is new to me anyways. Gently, I push her away and tell her to finish packing her and Brandon's stuff. My few possessions are packed and ready to be put away. Now I needed to pack up the kitchen, living room, and both bathrooms. If there's time after that I can help the twins with whatever else they need.

The hours crept by, and by five o'clock all my jobs for packing was done. Checking the rest of the house, I see Brandon and Liza packed mostly and sleeping amongst the boxes. I struggle to pick each one up and pile them onto a mattress stripped of bedding. Moving quietly as not to wake them, I order a cheese pizza and finish their packing.

As I'm packing, I get the familiar prickles of pain from this morning's beating. The kids were being too loud and woke our parents while getting ready for their last day of school here. Not wanting them to get hurt, I took the blame. Although it hurt, I would never wish I didn't do it. I would never let them get hurt.

I never let them stay at home without me there. Whenever their school ends before mine, they walk to either a predetermined meeting place, or they set up a playdate with their peers. If I manage to get a job, they come with me. No matter what, though, they never go home without me. Neither of them have been beaten by our parents, and if it's up to me, they never will. I don't mind getting hurt as long as they're in perfect condition. I'll protect them until we're all safe.

------------

"Where's Elizabeth!? She's not with Brandon or you. Your father hasn't seen her either. So, where is that brat?" The dangerously calm tone of voice warns me of the beating to come. I already knew it would happen, but the cold feeling of her voice confirms it. It shows no love. It shows no mercy.