Chapter 38: On One Condition

Start from the beginning

I picked up some rice using the chopsticks and brought them up to my lips, intending to consume it when Sasuke queried out of the blue, "Do you like Neji?"

My right hand - that held the chopsticks - halted before the rice could come into contact with my mouth. I pursed my lips in uncertainty, and then parted them to answer his question in all honesty, "I... don't know. All I can say about him is that he's conceited and arrogant, thinking that everyone is beneath him since he is 'destined' to be a genius. I see him only as an acquaintance. But my feeling doesn't matter now. What matters most is my family's reputation."

Sasuke stared at me in shock and disapproval, "Are you willing to do this just for the sake of your family?"

"What else can I do, Sasuke?" I pointed out, "I don't have a choice in this matter and I could clearly see that Neji is also a victim like me."

"Don't you feel any regret if you just marry him? You will lose all of your loved ones."

I turned my gaze down onto my half-eaten teriyaki, "I'm sure that Kaito and Kazuki will understand about this."

"I'm not talking about them. I'm talking about the boys who you will have feelings for in the future. You will lose all of your chances in pursuing them once you're engaged to someone. What about the boy who likes you now?"

My thoughts immediately flashed back to that night in the hospital after listening to his words.

***

The onyx-eyed boy leaned closer to my face with valiant movement. His eyes held such intense fondness and dauntlessly stared back into mine. I involuntarily smiled back to him, still with the heat bathing my pale cheeks with color. He proceeded, "I hate you so much."

***

Could it be... Is he implying himself?

His last question gave me the idea that he cared about our relationship and our future, and that had certainly made me euphoric. However, bashful warmth did not creep onto my cheeks this time, for I knew that we had no chance of initiating such relationship due to my arranged marriage. I gulped quietly, "... I don't have a choice, Sasuke. I can't do anything."

I then emitted a low chuckle before continuing, "It sucks, right? Being controlled by parents who only care about their status? You don't know how many times I've been daydreaming about escaping from this life and being free. That's why I crave freedom. All I want is to be free, Sasuke."

The boy sent me a long vacant stare before he resumed eating his teriyaki. Awkward vibes radiated from our bodies and permeated the air, eventuating in another round of uneasy silence to take place. We proceeded to devour our meals but our behaviors were not as casual as we used to be a few minutes ago. My downcast gaze was fixed on my plate - which was getting more and more empty with each passing second - as I ingested the handmade meal, deliberately avoiding making eye contact with the lone Uchiha survivor in front of me.

This went on until Sasuke shattered the moment of awkwardness, "Do you have a boy who you adore right now?"

Why is he asking me this all of a sudden? But I couldn't help but feel a little happy that he asked.

I tentatively replied, plainly uncertainty if this was the right thing to answer, "Yeah... I have one."

As soon as I said that, I speedily threw my gaze to his face, curious about his reaction upon hearing my response. I could hardly notice his entire body came to an abrupt halt for a split second there before he regained his self-control and his impassive countenance and inquired with an unusual tone of his voice, "Does he like you back?"