Ch 9 - Jealousy

"It's madness. They will shoot her on sight," Malachi told him.

"Look, I know it's a risk, but she's not who they think she is. Besides, shouldn't she be allowed to see at least one of her family members? Especially given how confused Silver was to find out she's alive in any case," my fiancé argued.

"You make a good point, but Malachi also makes a good point. Don't you think it would be wiser to have Silver meet us at an agreed destination?" Aziel suggested.

I didn't get to hear the answer as my phone started ringing. I left them arguing while I went to answer my phone. "Hello?"

"Ellie," a familiar voice said.

"Nick?" I asked unsurely.

"You know it's me? I thought you didn't have any memories," he replied.

"Not exactly. I know your voice from some of the memories I have, but I can't really remember your face. Wait, how did you know that I lost my memories?" I asked.

"I know everything Ellie. Before I say anything else, I need you to promise me that you won't tell anyone that you spoke to me," he requested.

I don't know why, but I agreed. "I promise, but why?"

"I'm in a little bit of some trouble, and I need your help. You're the only person who can help me right now because you and I are in the same situation. There are many things that you don't know, and while I have some answers, there are things that shouldn't be revealed yet," he responded.

I sighed. "You're speaking in riddles. What do you mean we're in the same situation? Also, you know that these people are looking for you right? This includes Jayme by the way. He's worried sick about you."

"Is he ok?" he asked, sounding panicked.

"Calm down, he's fine. He's with Xander's brother," I informed.

"Thales?" he asked, this time sounding surprised.

"Yes. Why do you sound so surprised? They are after all best friends," I pointed out. Xander told me that.

"I know. I'm only surprised because if Jayme's with Thales, then it only means that they're trying to not only find me, but piece together what I've been trying to," he said.

"You mean the imposter theory?" I questioned. Xander also let me in on that.

"So they've figured it out," he commented.

I was shocked. "Wait! You mean it's true?"

He sighed. "Look Ellie, I don't have much time on my hands right now. I was just worried about you and I needed to know that you're ok. Everything is probably confusing right now, but I promise that I'll come back to you when the time is right. Don't tell them I called you."

"How did you get this number anyway?" I asked.

"Like I said, I know everything," he responded before I was met by the dialling tone, making me realize something.

He never said what he needed my help with.

I tried calling him back, but the number was blocked, so there was no way that I could. Given everything I've heard about my brother, he's one of the smartest people on Earth, which is how I knew that trying to use the agency's tech to trace the call wouldn't work either.

He's too smart to be caught out that easily.

I headed back to the lounge to find the Cypher bunch still arguing. "Have you asked her?"