Chapter 18: Falling into A Trap

Arthur was nothing if not displeased. His arms were crossed and his brows were furrowed in anger. I decided to deflect his wrath by changing the subject before he could say anything.
"That look is doing something ugly to your face," I grinned.
"Merlin," his voice was dangerously firm, which told me he wasn't in the mood for jokes. "What were you doing?"
"What do you mean?" I grinned, trying to cheer him up.
"You were right behind us when we left these chambers. How could you possibly get lost between here and when we reached their.... wherever we were?"
"I thought I saw something... When I looked back you all were gone." It was a half-truth, as much as I dared tell him.
"And what was it that had you so distracted you couldn't follow us?" He was mocking me now.
I shrugged and decided to tell a little more of the truth. "A mouse."
"A mouse?" he asked incredulously, before huffing in annoyance. "Seriously Merlin? You delayed a very important meeting for a mouse?"
"Yes." It was the truth. He hardly believed it when I told him anyways.
"You couldn't come up with a better lie?"
"It's not--" I began before he cut me off.
"I don't have time for this! Your delay put us behind for packing up. I would've informed King Caspian that we would leave tonight. However, I cannot guarantee we will be ready considering how late it already is. We need preparation time." He was irrationally angry, but Morgana had a tendency to do that. "All because you got distracted by a mouse? All castles have mice!"
"They don't all have Talking Mice," I stated quietly. Arthur didn't seem to hear.
He sighed and took a deep breath. "Merlin, there's someone trying to kill me and Morgana is planning something. We cannot have you disappearing like that. They could target you."
"Me? I'm just a servant. What would they gain?" He was concerned about me. How touching.
"It's not your position, but who you serve. If you disappear, they could easily capture for information. Do you understand?"
"Yes," I nodded, solemnly. But to lighten the mood I said, "you're concerned about me."
Arthur sputtered. "N-no. I'm not. I'd just..." he cleared his throat. "I'd rather not deal with an irate Gwaine if something happened to you. Not to mention what Guinevere would do if I returned without you." 
He grinned and I smiled back. "That would be tragic, wouldn't?"
"Exactly," he laughed and moved to the bed. "Start packing Merlin. We need to be ready to leave by tonight."
"I thought we were leaving tomorrow," I questioned, confused.
"The sooner, the better. Go on," he ushered. I got the feeling he just wanted me out of the room.

I dashed into the antechamber and breathed a sigh of relief since I avoided any more questions from Arthur. Glancing about, I saw Ana's medical bag lying on the floor and I knew I couldn't leave it. Picking it up, I removed the remaining herbs. They could be useful on a journey or wherever we were going. I'm sure Ana wouldn't mind if I kept them either way.

Since most of our things had been lost when we were captured, the Telmarines had provided us with supplies. I knew I would have to pack my things and then Arthur's--the prat was too lazy to do it himself--and I hurried to grab what I could. Extra clothes and food went into one bag and after staring at it, I filled Ana's bag with medical supplies I suspected Amari had provided. No one would be able to tell, besides maybe Amari, that the bag was Ana's. They didn't pay attention to that.

Finished, I turned to make up the bed. I figured it would be pointless, but if Arthur wanted to leave tonight, I wanted to leave no trace. Then I picked up the two bags and left the antechamber. I placed them just outside the door and looked up at Arthur. He was at the table, looking at some papers. I assumed it was letters from Camelot or travel plans. Whether it was for show or when we actually left, it was a good idea.

"Shall I pack your bags?" I rhetorically asked as I approached the table.
"Yes," he muttered distractedly and I walked to the wardrobe.