Chapter 10: Convincing Emrys and Ana's Secrets

"Ana?" Merlin exclaimed, barely remembering to whisper. He was both shocked and concerned by her presence. "H-How did you get in here? Did you poison the Kings?"
She frowned, looking a little worried. "Kings? King Arthur has been poisoned too?"
"Yes... Y-you didn't know?"
"How could I know?!" she raised her voice but managed to keep it down enough so as not to draw attention. "I was being hunted like an animal while I was out looking for a cure. But I had suspected he would be targeted next." Her face showed great dismay and she took a step towards Arthur.
"Wait..." Merlin told her, holding up a hand. She froze, almost as if she was afraid he'd strike her down. "Who... Who is Emrys?"
She let out a soft chuckle. "It's okay, Merlin. I've known since I first met you, since that day in the woods."
"How?"
"I could sense it... Of course, I didn't know you were Emrys right away and I realize now how quite obvious that was... But I could sense your magic. I think all the Narnians could sense it. I probably can more than most," she quickly explained and Merlin barely caught a word of it. "Your secret's safe with me."
"What do you need my help for?"
"I think I found a cure... But it involves magic and you're the only one I know of that wouldn't try to kill them. Please?"
"How do I know you're just not trying to get me to kill Arthur faster?" Merlin inquired, still distrustful of her.
She sighed, almost like she had been expecting that. She took a step back, further away from Arthur and closer to the window. "I can only tell you what I know. It's your decision as to whether or not you believe me."
"Go on..."

She took a deep breath before rushing into her explanation. "I stumbled upon Morgana and a man meeting—of course, I didn't realize it was her, as she was disguised, until King Arthur's explanation at the feast—They didn't know I was there so I overheard them talking about killing Arthur. By blaming it on the Narnians, two Kingdoms would fall. You were following me, but somehow I managed to lose you—not purposely, I swear..." She was speaking so quickly that Merlin missed half of what she said. He only heard catching something about Morgana and killing Arthur.
"Wait!" Merlin said, trying to keep his voice low while Ana seemed on the verge of panicking. "Slow down. Please."
She did, for a bit. "I wanted to say something, but I didn't have any proof nor did I want Caspian to have to play favorites. And now I've, somehow, ended up taking the blame. As a result of my actions... Thaddeus and two Kings have been poisoned, Glenstorm's missing, and Halwende wants to kill me! And the only cure is magic but I can't do it so it means you have to because we don't have time to find somebody else!" By the end of her explanation, she had sped up again. Merlin realized she was worried and in a hurry.
"Shh!" Merlin shushed, glancing towards the door. Seeing no one was coming in, led her over to the table, to sit down. "Now... start at the beginning and slow down. I can't help you if I don't know what's happening."
She nodded and began her tale again, this time much slower. "I was recovering from my injury and kept feeling like someone was watching me..."

Flashback, Ana's POV

After a few days of being shut in her chambers, Ana decided she couldn't take being stuck in them anymore. Amari had ordered her to rest, but she was growing restless. She wandered the halls during the day, trying to avoid being spotted lest she be sent back to her chambers. It was much easier for her to avoid being seen by men than Narnians. And since the Narnians inside the castle had been reduced he could easily do it. Sometimes she would wander late at night. The nighttime wanderings were when she realized something was wrong.

Most of the time when she walked through the castle at night, Ana let her feet lead and her mind wander. The only time she really paid attention was when she heard someone coming just so she could avoid running into them. That was why she was surprised to find herself in the guest hall quite often. Of course, Caspian's chambers would've been expected, but the hallway where the guests stayed left her a bit confused. She didn't know why she was being drawn there.