Chapter 17: What Does King Caspian Know?

"How long does Thaddeus have?" the Mouse questioned.
"What do you mean? He's not dying. I told you--" I began, puzzled.
"No, no. How long does General Thaddeus have to wait?"
"Oh.... He told me Ana gave herself two days. On the sunrise of the third day, he was supposed to report to King Caspian."
"That's still awhile from now," Trumpkin noted. "I wonder what she was waiting for."
"Maybe she hoped to have the evidence she needed by then," Anviel defended.
"So we have until tomorrow, at the earliest, before Ana's plan can take place. But what if Morgana has different plans?" I questioned. "She's already proven she's capable of getting to both Kings. How do we stop her?"
"Perhaps we could take out the traitor and make her come to us?" Reepicheep suggested.
"Will King Caspian believe the accusations?" I needed to know for sure.
"It doesn't matter. There would still be a trial where Halwende can defend himself," he said. "An accusation from any of us wouldn't be as well listened to as it would from Thaddeus. It has more sway on a Telmarine council."
"But the King would surely request for Narnian members as well," Anviel reasoned.
"He would. Especially when both a Telmarine and a Narnian--Ana--are being accused. They would need both sides to keep it fair," Trumpkin agreed.
"But Ana's not here to defend herself! It makes her look quilty," I reminded them.
"Exactly why we can't make the accusation now. Why we have to let Thaddeus make it so it seems unpersuaded. Even then I suspect he'd wait until she's found in order to allow Ana to defend herself," Trufflehunter concluded. "We need to buy Ana that time."
"What do you mean?" I asked.
"We have to keep the Kings alive until Ana returns," Reepicheep explained. "Halwende will try to strike again but we have an advantage."
Anviel nodded. "We know he's the traitor and he has no idea."
"As for Morgana," Trumpkin stated, "it's likely she will attack soon, while she believes she has the upper hand. I have no doubt those Telmarines delivered Ana to her and Morgana believes she's the only one to know of her spy."

The others seemed to agree with that but I was worried. Ana in the hands of Morgana? The person I knew hardly had any kindness left and reserved what little there was for only a small few. Ana wouldn't be one of them. Morgana would be trying to get something from her--if her spy couldn't provide it--or something much darker. I shuddered at that because if the Telmarines told Morgana what Ana is, I could imagine her trying to convince Ana to switch sides. Ana wouldn't and she would pay the price.

"We have to find her," I told them.
"Yes," the Mouse agreed. "Though she can handle herself pretty well."
"No. You don't understand. Ana told me everything, well enough, and I know what kind of person Morgana is. Do the Telmarines know about the magic?"
"Most know, some don't understand."
"She's in danger. Morgana will do everything she can to stop her plan from failing, including trying to persuade Ana."
"Ana won't join her," the Badger stated and the others agreed.
"I know. That's what I'm worried about. Morgana will hurt Ana to get her way. She'll have her fun and then kill her. And if Telmarines told Morgana about Ana, she'll cut her off from her magic. Based on what I know, that could kill her faster than anything Morgana could do. It would me."

Their careful concealed worry began to dissolve the more I explained. By the time I was finished, it was clearly visible for all. But they were more than concerned for her; they were afraid for her, meaning they truly cared. Each of them exchanged worried glances, expressing silent messages that I didn't understand.

"We need to find Glenstorm," the Badger insisted, rising to his feet and pacing. "He can search the forest for her better and one of us can join him. The others must stay here to protect King Caspian. Reepicheep, you can go everywhere that we cannot." The Mouse nodded in agreement. "You're to stay with him at all times and report back when you can. If you need help, don't hesitate." Again, Reepicheep nodded and provided a swift bow before scampering out to do his deed.
"So that just leaves the four of us," the Dwarf said.
"No... Merlin, Emrys, will be with King Arthur. He can get much closer than any of us." I shook my head in agreement with that. "I don't know which of us to send out in the forest. I, myself, am better with communicating with the Narnians but I'm not a fighter. Should I come across where Ana's being hidden, I wouldn't be of much use."
"I'll go," Anviel stated just as Trumpkin began to speak up. "I'm more intimidating and can handle anyone much easier than you."
"But I can get out of the castle easier!" Trumpkin protested.
"Therein lies the issue on who to send," Trufflehunter reminded. "You are both right and both skilled warriors."