Chapter Three: The Date Of Your Nightmares

I sigh and lean back against the rickety wooden chair. My hands are cramped from making reports and signing papers. I pop my knuckles and look at the clock on the wall.

6:42 it reads. I push myself away from the desk and change clothes. I walk out of the room and head down to the living room. It's always fairly lively in there. I smile seeing Marie on the couch with Dawn in her arms. She mated to Johnathan 9 months ago. That's when she got pregnant.

And that's the big thing that scares me. I don't want kids. But when I mate, Nova will be pregnant with my pups.

Wait... Did I really just say that?

"Alpha!" I hear a man yell. I look over and smile. It's only Nick. I wave slightly at him. I can sense people's fear. I put off that kind of... Dominant presence. Or so I've been told. I walk over to my beta.

"Hello Nick."

"Sir... How's your cousin? She hasn't really spoken to anyone​ since she gave birth." He rubs the back of his head. Oh my sweet innocent little beta... He's always had a crush on Marie. Even after she mated.

"She's fine. So is the baby." I sniff the air. Nova's ready to leave. She's in the room. I turn around and face the small Omega. Her hair is thrown up in a ponytail, she has on a simple white shirt that says: Whatever. On her legs are a pair of tight blue jeans.

She sees me and smiles, walking over. "Hello Alpha. Beta." She greets us. Nick nudges me with his elbow. I look at him. He wiggles his eyebrows.

"Stop it Nick." I nudge him back. He chuckles and leaves. "Ready to go?" I ask cooly. She nods and we head outside. We walk into the woods together in silence.

After a while we come to a clearing. Nova looks around in wonder. Her scent hits me like a train when the wind comes through. I sit on the cool grass.

"Kai?"

"Hm?" I ask looking up. Her eyes study mine.

"Why did you bring me out here?" Her nose scrunches up in a cute way.

I shrug. "Only the pack members I care about know about this place." I can feel my heart warm up at her smile. She sits down next to me.

"Well... Thanks for this. The stars are beautiful..." She lays her head in my lap. My hand twitches at the urge to pet her hair. "Kai... I know that we're supposed to be mates and all but... I can tell you don't want this..."

She shifts. "Don't make such assumptions."

"Sorry. I just figured.... That... Since you haven't mated, that you don't ever want one."

"I didn't at first. I only want a mate because my wolf has chosen one as well. And... As much as I don't want to admit it... I've chosen you. So has my wolf."

I can smell her excitement. "Do you mind if we sleep out here tonight?" She snuggles into my leg.

"Sure. I have camping supplies in a hollow tree." She smiles.

"Thank you." She sits up when I get up to go get the supplies. I have two sleeping bags, fire starter, and a tent. No food though.

We set up the tent together and I make a fire. We both sit around it, talking about our lives outside of werewolf life. Then we go quiet.

I growl hearing a branch snap. "Nova... Inside the tent." She and I stand up. She nods and unzips the tent, hurrying inside.

"Hiding your little bitch I see..." The voice rings out as a hiss. "Such a big bad Alpha... I'm so scared...." The voice is obviously female. I shift into my wolf form. He takes over. The determination to protect his mate is strong. The growl is deep and low in his throat.