Chapter 18

More than anything, Bo just wanted to sleep

More than anything, Bo just wanted to sleep. As his thumb brushed across his scar over and over, his eyelids felt heavy and with every blink it was getting harder and harder to open them again. But he refused to pass out before Saoirse came back. Even though he knew she could handle herself, he didn't stop himself from worrying.

Hell,he had his Colt holstered on his side just in case. Ellis called him paranoid--Bo convinced himself that he was just being a good friend.A good friend would keep a weapon on them just in case.

Maybe I am paranoid.

But he had every right to be, right? Enzo made it very clear to Saoirse that he'd do everything in his power to get that land he wanted. Bo was positive he wouldn't go by the book, now. Enzo was greedy and devious, true to his ancestry. He knew that corners would be cut, and he would stake his life that Enzo would hurt people to get what he wanted.

He growled beneath his breath.

Why didn't I go with her?

He knew why--it was hard to be alone with her. They spent the whole day alone and together at the Stop & Stock. Even though the two of them kept themselves occupied with cleaning and inventory checks,there would always be a few moments where the tension grew suffocating.

He didn't want to be that asshole that promised friendship, but always wanted something more. He refused to be that asshole. But he also didn't want to be that asshole who gave up on a good friendship because he couldn't handle it.

By now it seemed he'd wind up an asshole either way, instead of the friend he wanted to be.

It was so much easier when Saoirse was just some wildling that stole something from him--it was so much easier when her name left him bitter and angry. He hated using the word torment, but damn...it felt like that, sometimes.

He lifted himself from his couch, kicked his door open, and stepped out into the cool night air. Bo figured it would be easy to come up with some stupid excuse for joining her--that he was bored and happened to cross her tracks. Coincidence, he could tell her.

He drew in a deep breath. Old Spice filled his lungs along with the scent of evergreen trees that clustered around the trailer park and soon Bo felt utterly serene. There was always something about home that made everything alright with him. Light from the moon and the dull, old yelling lamp lights scattered around the park fell across the grass. He strolled in and out of shadows as he made it toward the edge of the park.

It always caused his heart to stutter when he stepped over the threshold in between the park and the woods. It was as if something old and foreign thing was telling him to stay home. His hand shook,and he quickly shoved it into the pocket of his jeans and continued forward.

I'm safe.

Evergreen filled his lungs again, reassuring him as he pushed himself deep into the woods. The light from the park began to dim the further he ventured from his home, forcing his eyes to adjust to the shift in darkness. The boundary line was barely a quarter-mile from the park;luckily, he knew the path by heart, relying on familiar scenery to guide his way.