Chapter 26

The morning had been cold, despite the layers of blankets that covered them entirely

The morning had been cold, despite the layers of blankets that covered them entirely. But cold hands and breath like smoke didn't stop Bo from nestling between her thighs again, his thrusts slow and languid—one more time before they had no choice but to get back on the road. This was how she always wanted to wake up; enveloped in his arms drenched in his warmth.

It killed her knowing that she might not make it back alive.

They knew their plan wouldn't work. They knew that Enzo wouldn't give up—the land they would offer was absolute shit. Saoirse even cringed when they decided on it. It was damn near offensive; Enzo would see it as offensive, and he'd make sure that Saoirse and Bo knew it.

Getting dressed had been quiet. She slipped on a pair of jeans and Bo's shirt from the night before('I'd be upset if you didn't wear it with pride,' Bo had insisted), hanging loosely from her thin frame. They piled into the truck, Bo flipping on the heat quickly. They were quiet, waiting for the interior to heat up before taking off. She watched him—his smile appeared for a short minute before drifting away as reality seemed to set in.

He knew it wouldn't work, either. It was a suicide mission.

"I just need to tell you something, okay?" She said, moving across the seat until she was inches from him. She drew in a breath. "I can see myself loving you."

"De Rais," he hissed. "I would be happy if you told me you loved me someday."

She smirked, kissing him on the cheek. It'd be so easy to love him—she did already, but as a friend—more than she already did. Maybe...hell, maybe she'd even consider calling him mate someday. For now, she cared for him—deeply and irrevocably. She'd do anything to protect him; he was the best Luna an Alpha could ask for.

He caught her lips with his, and for a long while nothing was said. He pulled away to turn on the truck.

"I can see myself loving you, too."

#

Enzo lived in a literal ghost town. Weathered down houses lined empty streets, discarded children toys littered every lawn. She once heard that Enzo's pack lived in an abandoned nuclear testing town. Inside the empty houses were old, decaying mannequins, meant to simulate home life before the army dropped the deadliest thing beside herkind.

The further into the town they went, they found houses that were lived in—pack members would be out and about, stopping to stare at Bo and Saoirse as they drove past. She shuddered. They were in uncharted territory now; this wasn't their pack, or their territory, and that terrified her.

Act like an Alpha, she told herself. You're an Alpha.

She didn't feel like one. She felt helpless in the passenger seat, slowly reaching over to grab Bo's hand as he turned another corner. They drove up a cul-de-sac,pulling over as Bo begrudgingly found the right house. It was cleaner than all the others, a two story house that had a wrap around porch. In the front were several pack members, waiting silently as Bo pulled over on the side of the road. She gripped the map, loosening a breath as she stepped out of the truck with Bo.