Chapter 9

"I don't want to hear a single I told you so to come outta your damn mouth, you understand me, Ellis?"

"No, you're gonna listen to it." His own Beta told him growling underneath his breath. "I fucking told you that she would be bad news!"

"No, you told me to keep to a damn tight leash on her. I left her outta my sight for five minutes. The rest is on Jeremy and Richard!"

This wasn't De Rais' fault. He and Ellis damn well knew it. The village idiot could tell that Richard and that damn son of his, Jeremy, were the true culprits. Had they stayed away like Bo asked, they wouldn't be covered in cuts and bruises.

But Ellis Cleary wouldn't see that. He's learned by now that Ellis could only see things the way he saw them; Saoirse was a wildling, and tonight she proved it to him. The only difference was that, this time, Bo wasn't the victim in this scenario. This time it wasn't his skin drenched in blood.

This time, the victims deserved it.

His breaths were heavy from anger. He could stare his friend down all night, but he knew that Ellis wouldn't change his mind about her. He saw her as dangerous.

"I see no problem with you going soft on her, because of her condition," Ellis forced out between clenched teeth. "But I swear to the-"

"Oh, I swear to God, if you bring that woman into this," Bo threatened.

"I swear to the Morrigan, if you've forgotten what she is, I'm kicking your ass."

Bo had no issues with where he came from. Every wolf in the pack knew about the old packs and where they came from-but it was all those bullshit with the Morrigan and Brutality that pissed him off. Any mention of her name and he wanted to break a jaw or two. And Ellis knew it.

The Doherty pack had come so far from that life, that he didn't want a few slips of the tongue to bring it back.

He growled loudly, causing Ellis to recoil a bit.

"I am not afraid to drag a few skeletons outta your closet." Bo said, "I'll start with your granddad's skeletons. I wonder if Saoirse thinks you hate her just for the hell of it."

"Don't."

"Then shut up, and let me handle this the way I see fit."

It was wrong of him to bring that up, and he knew it. Damn, what kind of friend was he if he would pull that out of the woodworks, thinking it was alright? He'd known Ellis for years-for forever-it felt like. They grew up together as kids... he couldn't imagine having anyone else as his Beta.

But he was getting tired of his animosity toward Saoirse. He was tired of hearing him bring her down, when Bo knew the reason he was like that.

He watched as Ellis' nostrils flared, waiting for him to strike back. He had every right to, and as his best friend, he was willing to take it. But the two of them were hot-tempered, and eventually they both knew they had to calm down.