Chapter 19

She was fury incarnate

She was fury incarnate. She didn't know their names, or even what they really looked like beneath their fur--but she knew the taste of their flesh, and the taste of their blood on her tongue. She knew that they came for her. But the fury that she felt--so powerful it felt as if the world around her felt it, too--wasn't because of them.

It was Bo.

It was Bo and Ellis, perched low on their knees before her trying to force her to return to them, that wanted her to tear the world apart in anger. Because they came looking for her... because they decided that they couldn't just leave her alone.

Because she just had to comeback.

Bo couldn't leave her alone; he tracked her down and dragged her back.Now, she had blood on every inch of her skin and she knew that only a small fraction of it belonged to her. Because Bo brought her back there were four wolves dying (or dead, she couldn't remember) just beyond the trailer park.

With a loud crash of metal against metal she swung the door to his trailer open.

Despite her rage being utterly human, she felt the wolf just beyond the closer edges of her mind. It wanted to come back, to push through her skin and shove her as far away from the surface as it possibly could.

As she reached for his box of Pop Tarts--anything that could remove the lingering taste of crimson from her mouth--she noted how her fingers still curled like claws around the box. She tried to shake the feeling away. But the yearning to shift back was so strong she audibly cursed at the feeling.

The last time she'd shifted on a day other than a full moon it took days to return to her human form. When she did she battled so fiercely against the wolf underneath... sometimes, it won, only to be conquered moments later. It would take a few days more of her shifting from human to wolf and back again before she could feel something close to normal.

She had no choice. She had to protect herself. Had she remained human they would have torn her to ribbons. She had to thank any god or goddess that listened that the wolf had been stupid to try and control her. She was glad for that trigger.

But now she was paying the price.

The box of Pop Tarts was empty by the time she gave up on trying to remove that rancid taste. She needed something more, something stronger than the sugary treat. She opened cabinets, and closed them again, searching for something with an overpowering flavor. When she found a hidden bottle of Jack Daniels, she wasted no time in twisting the top off to take a deep swig of the drink.

It burned her throat, deliciously slow. She let out an ugly snort.

Of course this would be my first real drink.

By the third swig she'd grew used to the fire that cascaded down her throat every time she took a drink. Her cheeks burned, and her skin tingled with heat. The flavor was nearly gone by the time Bo returned to his trailer.