Starr Academy: Year Three- Chapter 25

Twenty-Five

My eyes snapped open. They darted around the room as they started to focus against the darkness of the night. My mind confused yet fully awake now. Something had me waking up from such a peaceful dream and had me very alert.

Looking to my alarm clock, the bright numbers made me more confused. Two oh two in the morning. For some reason that seemed significant. But why? My fussy brain was having a hard time processing the information and giving me a reason why I needed to be awake right now.

A soft tap sound caught my attention. An odd tap sound. Something I never heard before so I couldn't place it. My heart racing as excitement spread through my veins.

My eyes shoot down to the basket that my body was curled around. Thats when I made the connection. This was the moment when the new moon was the purest and when my little phoenix would finally hatch.

Instantly I sat up and placed the basket in my lap. My legs crossed as now there was no haze in my mind. Just pure joy that my little egg was hatching. A moment I've been waiting for all year just passed preparing for the ritual. To see that my patience is being rewarded like this.

Another tap and there I saw the crack in the shell forming. Quickly I lifted the towel from my nightstand and placed the egg in it. My palm cupping the egg now nestled in my towel. I watched as the crack grew bigger and bigger with splinter cracks as my phoenix slowly emerged.

I smiled down at it after it spread it's tiny featherless wings in it's last attempt top fully free itself from the shell. Now only the bottom third remained around my phoenix. Even the sound of it's little chirping made my whole heart sing with happiness.

Slowly it wobbled in the shell before it fell over in the towel that I held. Delicately I started to wipe the goop off of its little head and removed the last bits of shell from it. I wasn't going to wash it till the new day has come. Melerick wrote that it was alright to just let it dry because the left over goo was helpful to the new born phoenix. All I had to do was just wipe it down and bundle it up in a silk handkerchief. That's exactly what I did.

Afterward, I placed the tiny bundle in the cute little cradle Franklin made me with Danielle and Zera's help. They designed it just for the baby phoenix to rest in. At the moment, the cradle sat next to the ash flower because I wanted my phoenix to be more than at home when it greets the world.

I have no idea how long I just laid on my bed watching the little creature sleep. Watching it's little beak open the smallest about. The pink with a pale gold tip was unique all her own. A single vein of canary yellow went along the edge of her beak. They reminded me of lips. My baby phoenix had the best beak I'd ever want her to have.

Slowly I found myself falling to sleep again. A sleep that was more peaceful knowing that she has hatched. That in the morning, she'll open her eyes and I'll have to name her. That was the best part of all. Giving her a name so she may greet the world fully.

When the sun rose, I was up and over to my little phoenix. No alam clock went off. Nothing that made m wake up. I just opened my eyes and slipped my robe on before pulling my desk chair over the my phoenix's tiny and adorable bed.

The sun graced her beak and she did a sort of yawn. The cutest sight of all. Other than the blinking that followed before those little eyes opened to the new world. My breathe caught in my throat at those deep and beautiful blue eyes that was an amazing contrast to her golden coloring, even light as it were.

A smile stretched across my face as I looked down at her. "Welcome. You're so perfect."

There was a purr sound that came from her throat when I touched her forehead. "Just wait till everyone sees you out of your shell. If they were all cooing over just a baby egg, they'll go mad with joy seeing you with us fully." It was almost as if she smiled at me when he eyes came up to me.