Starr Academy: Year Three- Chapter 3

Three

    I was shaken awake about a second after I had just let my eyes rest for a second. Opening my eyes, I found Rod next to me. Or should I say that I was leaning against him. I must have fallen asleep on him.

    “You should see this.”

    He jutted his chin out over the bow of the ship. I followed and my breathe caught seeing all the little flames of tiki-torches that lined the dock we were heading for. They swayed with the wind that was coming off the water. Each one sending light out to the dock and the water beside the dock giving the area a soft golden glow. They gave the place a mystical feel.

    The yacht slowed as I walked over to the railing with my brother where Franklin was already standing. Franklin smiled. “See what we’re being greeted with?”

    I nodded. “It’s beautiful.”

    Both of them put an arm around me as we watched as the captain docked the yacht. My mind going to what could be waiting for us when we arrived. I knew the surprises weren’t over yet. Marek, and especially his father, loved to surprise people when they started doing  things for them.

    Dan guided us over to the landing to disembark from the yacht. He’s the one to tell us that that was what it was called. I hadn’t known that till he kindly told us. He just smiled as he helped me across the metal plank off the ship. I think I gripped his arm the whole way. It was the dark that made me a little afraid of slipping off the plank and into the water. I knew I shouldn’t have been, but some fears just creep up on you out of no where, though I had a feeling where mine came from.

    Cedric. When he made his move in my first year at Starr, he instilled a little fear of the dark in me. I knew he was still out there somewhere and was bidding his time till he had a chance to do what he wants. Get back at me as Melerick has said that Cedric had a thing for revenge. But Headmistress Alexi has told me not to worry about him as the council is working on tracking Cedric wherever he ended up.

    “This is the tricky part.” Dan took my hands and set them on the railing before he did a skip off the plank. He turned to me as I looked at the dock floor. The plank was moving back and forth lightly against the dock’s boards. “There’s nothing to it. Just take a deep breathe and reach other for my hands. I gently pull you off the plank when the time is right and onto the deck.”

    I took one last look at the dock before I looked at him. Taking a deep deep breathe and letting it out, I put my hands in him. It felt like I barely moved as he tugged me off the plank and onto the dock. He guided me a little down the dock before he went back to the others. The dock felt like it was moving a little. Guess I need land legs again after half an hour on the yacht.

    A hand came to my elbow and I looked up to see Joe smile down at me. “It’ll wear off before you know it.”

    I giggled. “Did I look like I was swaying?”

    He chuckled. “Only a little.” He started guiding me down the dock and onto the lightest sand I’ve seen even at night. Virginia Beach has nothing on a Hawaiian island’s sand. I even giggled as I took my shoes off with Joe’s help to keep me upright.

    I closed my eyes as I dug my toes into the sand a little. A pleasing sigh slipped out between my lips as it still felt warm from the daylight sun. Joe was smiling the whole time as we waited for the others to join us on the beach.

    Franklin made all of us laugh as he dove for the beach and kissed the ground. “This is why I preferred earth and don’t do water. Solid, secure, and strong. That’s earth for you.”