Starr Acdemy: Year Three- Chapter 15

Fifteen

I stood beside the pond in the garden. My dreams had always been a source of comfort for me except lately. Melerick rarely shows now. Every time he does, he seems so distant and sad. Something was going on, yet he wouldn't tell me. Even now as I look around my dream garden, I'm all alone.

Where was he?

Sitting down at the edge of the pond, I looked into the waters wondering. Did I do something wrong? Was I broken and he couldn't come back? I had no idea what to think right now when everything was feeling off.

My reflection scowled at me. "Nothing is wrong with you but you perception."

I frowned. "Then tell me why people leave me?"

She rolled her eyes. "No one has left you. They may not be around all the time, but they aren't gone."

I crossed my arms. "They are gone. Marek left the school because of me. Melerick doesn't come into my dreams very often. And when he is here, he barely looks at me."

"But they aren't gone."

Rising from the edge of the pond, my hands fisted. "But they don't want to be near me. I'm still broken. My soul isn't whole."

The water of the pond rose when I turned back and some of my anger dissipated when I saw a mirror of me standing on the water made up of the water. She crossed her arms at me. You're not broken and your soul is whole. I should know because I'm a part of you who knows you the best."

"But you don't know everyone else."

She raised an eyebrow at me. "But you're not listening to what others are saying. They aren't leaving you. Life changes and things like this happen. Marek left to give you the chance to know you again. To feel comfortable in your own skin. He's still with you, just in a different place. He writes to you for heaven sakes."

"What about Melerick?"

Her face fell a little. "What's going on with him isn't about you." She looked down. "He'll tell you when he comes to terms with everything."

I sat down and now all my anger was gone. "But I thought he was a part of me. Something that I'd never lose."

She knelt down and looked at me. "You will never lose him. He'll always be a part of you even if there comes a time when he can't be here in this garden of your dreams." She reached out and touched my hand. "You're growing up and soon will stand on your own without him being there for you. You're strong enough not to need him."

"He's like a father to me."

She smiled. "And as a father, he has to let you go as you need to let him go."

"Is that why he's not here now?"

She shook her head. "Don't think he wouldn't love to be here with you and always." A smile lit her but not too brightly. "He did give you his doppleganger in his secret study."

I smiled too. "Mel is nice to have."

"Melerick molded his doppleganger in his image to give you some comfort and to help you most of all."

Drawing my knees to my chest, I hugged my legs. "I still feel broken."

She nodded sitting down on the water with her legs tucked underneath of her. "I know. What you went through was unique. Give yourself time to understand yourself because of it. You will feel broken for a time, but know that you will feel better. I know because I'm the part of you who has patience and hope for the future."

Slowly her form started to turn into the clear water of the pond. "Just give yourself a little more time and I know all your friends are there to help you." She 'melted' away back into the pond.