Chapter 7 - Is It Better Out There?

Twisted Moon - Book 3 of the Black Moon series - Chapter 7: Is It Better Out There?

(Noah's POV - Sat. 28 February 2015)

That had to happen one day. Luck - if that may be called luck - couldn't stay on my side eternally and things couldn't go smoothly forever. I have always been cautious as to remain unnoticed each time I had to go out of the building and back in, always making sure that no trains were passing by and that there were no workers around before I would cross the railways and scurry in or out. I don't even know how they found out that someone was staying in that old abandoned construction, but they did, and now I have to pack up and go.

I was still sleeping when they broke in this morning, Jess curled in a ball against my chest and underneath my clothes. The end of February has been awfully cold and snowy and the poor thing really has had a hard time getting warm. Unfortunately, things are not going to get any better now that we are being thrown out of the building where I had settled down for the last few months. Some guys from the railway company barged in unexpectedly a few minutes ago, waking me up with a start with their shouts, saying I wasn't allowed to stay here; something about how dangerous it could be to stay in a decayed construction where girders and pieces of the roof might fall and crash me at any moment.

Why, just let them crash me! That would end up all my sufferance and worries!

How can I be so selfish and cruel? Jess could be harmed too! And even if he wasn't, who would take care of him then? And yet, I can't help thinking that despite all the love I will ever give him, he shall never expect a great life with me. I should actually hand him to an animal shelter, hoping that some nice people will come and adopt him. That would be the best opportunity for the puppy, rather than having to spend his days and nights in the cold; he could find a warm and comfortable home with kind owners.

As if he was able to read my mind, Jess snaps his teeth into the sleeve of my anorak and gently pulls on it, looking at me with his big pleading eyes. I quickly brush my gloved fingers on his head, but the two men might get impatient while I finish packing, so I try to hurry up, putting everything in my duffle bag. I do not own that much of course apart from my clothes, a couple of blankets, some toiletries and other useful accessories, but not having eaten since yesterday morning and still being half asleep doesn't help, so my moves are quite slow.

After I have gathered all my stuff in my bag under the patient watch of both men, they show me out through a door I never used before and warn me that they had better not find me here again, or else I would have to deal with the police. I am feeling grateful that they didn't call them already because I don't need more troubles. I don't have a collar or a leash for Jess and I don't want to take the risk of seeing him walk onto the street and get ran over, so once I have passed the railways, I stop for a minute and slip him beneath my clothes where he will feel warmer, only his head popping out between my scarf and the zipper of my coat.

"Well, we need to find a new home, baby..." I sigh to him, already regretting our little place. It wasn't great and it was stinking, but at least we were not disturbed by other people. I had gotten used to the noise of the trains running next to the building and it was not worse than hearing cars when you sleep under a bridge. Pulling on my hat to make sure it covers my ears, I slowly head to the South. I haven't set a foot on the East side of The Loop since Wednesday last week when I met that tall guy again and don't intend to do so again.

I saw how his expression turned to something slightly... softer when he recognized me and I can't tell if he meant me any harm, but I should think so after I stole his money. And yet, there was something... appeasing in him... I don't know... it was weird. However, now that I know where he works, I would rather avoid the area as much as possible.