Chapter Sixty-Four: Cheating Time

After passing through the Hollow (created by the Seamstress's incantations) in the Fabric that separated all worlds, Shivam and Aparajita found themselves standing in a rain-soaked street beside a lake. The very place where Aparajita had turned into a dragon, all that time ago.

Aparajita took a look around. Night had fallen on this side of the Fabric. No other human being was in sight. A cold wind brushed past them, like spirits of dead people. The moonlight flickered as shreds of clouds rushed ahead in the sky.

"It had happened here. Hadn't it?" Aparajita asked.

Shivam nodded slowly. Their lives had changed here, forever. Yes, they were now back where magic was only a myth, but that wouldn't wipe the memories from his mind. The memories of dragons and Infernos and magic spears. The memory of a bewitching woman.

"What do we do now? For how many days have we been gone from our homes?" Aparajita asked.

"It doesn't matter. The Seamstress said we would find that time cheats once we were back here. I guess time runs differently across the Fabric. I bet it is the same night...the night when you...you..." Shivam didn't finish the sentence.

Aparajita came closer, and hugged him. "You crazy man. You walked across worlds and manipulated time for the sake of me? Most men would have just gone home crying."

Shivam became stiff, and returned the hug very tentatively. "Most men would have just gone nuts. I wonder sometimes why I didn't."

"My brave Shibu," Aparajita said, and brought her lips close to his.

Shivam pushed her away. Surprised, she asked, "What's wrong?"

"I'm tired, that's all."

"Tired...even for a kiss...? Shivam, you have never..."

"Aparajita, we have been through a lot, okay? Can we just not romance now?"

"I don't understa...," Aparajita began, and then her eyes widened. "There's another girl, right? You met someone there. While looking for me you..."

"Aparajita, Aparajita," Shivam cut in. "It's nothing like that. Although..."

"Although what?" Aparajita asked, tears slipping from her eyes. Just a moment ago, Shivam had seemed to be the bravest man in the world, to her, at least. But now he just seemed to be a cowardly cheater.

"I kissed Tiyasha," Shivam blurted out.

Aparajita placed a hand across her open mouth. Shivam had told her about Tiyasha, of course, but had omitted this part. After a few seconds of unbearable silence, she asked, "Why?"

'I was horny,' was the thought that came to Shivam's tongue, but he said instead, "Because of The Unseen Price I told you about...? My memory used to fluctuate a lot. I temporarily forgot about you..."