Chapter Forty-Seven: Distances Don't Count

Blikrot sat on his dark throne and stared at a small painting that he held in his hand.

A painting of the Sailor, much like the Capture-Paintings that he had issued. Above the painting was written "People's Hope" in surprisingly bold letters.

The Sailor. "People's Hope"? So the people were now placing their faith in his Foe? Was some kind of a revolution coming?

"Where did you find this, again?" Blikrot asked one of his commanders, who had come to report to him.

"In the MediMen's Town, Sir. Two men named Bell and John had these in their house."

"And?"

"We destroted these, of course. We burned the entire apartment down. Then beheaded those two men. Let it be an example to other people, other towns."

"Good, good. You may go now. Collect your reward from one of my cashiers," Blikrot said, voice deep and broken, a finger showing the commander the way out.

Left alone, Blikrot was free to ponder on this new development. He suddenly became sure--it was an intuition too clear and sharp to defy--that the Sailor and the Witch now also had the Blessing of the Resident Dragon of the Forest of Falling Leaves. His guards waiting for them on the outskirts of the Forest had missed them, somehow. He immediately decided to employ them elsewhere.

The phrase "People's Hope" nagged at his brain, like a relentless disturbing thought. Why were the People of Heart so brainless? Couldn't they see that HE was their only hope? That only HE could get rid of all Dragons, once and for all? And once he managed that, he would get rid off all the evil and all the corruption that currently existed among his army commanders. He could do it overnight. But now he needed them, and he WOULD use them to complete his mission.

He couldn't let there be dragons. He mustn't.

"May I come in?" It was Bakrasur, asking for the permission to enter the king's Throne's Hall.

"Yes," Blikrot granted him the permission.

"I believe I am ready for the journey. I can easily walk through mirrors now. You asked me to come see you when I was ready. Well...I am now," Bakrasur said.

"What about your spear?"

Bakrasur summoned his spear of solid white light. It was long and narrow, a lethal magic weapon. It did not flicker or darken.

"Excellent," Blikrot muttered.

"So, when do we leave?" Bakrasur asked. Some of his old confidence and energy had returned. He still thought going to the Glaciers was a terrible idea, but if the Emperor had set his mind to it he would do it anyway, and maybe it was better to get it over with.

"We will when we figure out a solution of our most pressing problem," Blikrot said.

"Which is?"

"How do we find a Winter Dragon in the Glaciers. We are not Raisers...besides, a Winter Dragon can't be "raised"...you may leave now, Bakrasur..." Blikrot said.

Baffled, Bakrasur left the hall without anymore words.

Left alone once more, Blikrot smiled to himself. He could feel that something huge was coming. Some great achievement. Perhaps greater than mastering Flight.

Bakrasur had shown remarkable skill in the last few days.

And he was sure he would figure out how to find a Winter Dragon soon enough. And then they will be truly ready to leave.

The Shadowblade waited for them.

***

A long distance away from Blikrot's black castle (a distance that soon wouldn't count), Shivam and company were walking through a town names 'Weaver's Residence'. The effects of the Popcorns they had used had faded, thus the merciless cold freezed their blood. It seemed to them that they were breathing in frost, and their muscles refused to work properly. Walking without breathing proved to be difficult.

"We need to find shelter," Arthur said.

"Hear, hear," Took said. He had tried to keep them warm by throwing his jet of fire, but failed. Now even Took, a fire dragon, suffered from the cold, and Josh carried him, holding him close to his chest.

"Look: a girl," Tiyasha suddenly said.

"What?" Shivam asked, and then raised his eyes.

A little girl, wearing a sleeveless white dress, was walking towards them, unperturbed by the unnatural weather.

She seemed to be curious. She was looking at Josh as she walked towards them.

'Couldn't be more than twelve', Shivam thought.

"Who is she?" Josh asked.

*********

Enjoyed the chapter?

*************************

VOTE COMMENT SHARE