Chapter Twelve: Infernos

"Leave us alone. We mean no harm," Shivam said firmly to the Infernos. None of them were paying any attention to him, they were just busy ogling over Tiyasha. As Shivam spoke, the man who was nearest to Tiyasha, and who appeared to be the leader of this group of Infernos, jerked his head towards him.

"Get the hell out of here," this man advised, "don't get yourself killed for a fucking witch."

"I won't allow you to harm her," Shivam said firmly.

That did it. Now he had their complete undivided attention. He eyed his opponents carefully, taking in their apparel ready for ancient warfare, the knives they were carrying, unsheated, on their belts, and the massive greyhounds in leashes, eager to chomp on his throat.

"You will allow me? You think an Inferno needs your permission? My name is McGrath! You think McGrath needs your PERMISSION?" The apparent leader of the Infernos growled, as he swiftly brought up his knife in his right hand, and with it, made a sweeping gesture in the air that was directed towards Shivam.

The knife in McGrath's hand flashed brightly, and another knife, of the same size, shot out of its blade, and rushed with tremendous speed towards Shivam.

Shivam tried to get out of the knife's way by dashing away from its path, but he was too late. The knife's blade slashed his left shoulder, cutting open a deep wound. The pain was white hot, it blurred Shivam's vision and he fell on his knees.

"Take care of that sucker," the man named McGrath growled to the others, and began advancing towards Tiyasha. She stood transfixed, horrified by the entire situation, looking at the young man who had tried to save her bleeding profusely on the ground.

McGrath grabbed the aanchal of Tiyasha's black saree. Tiyasha was horrified--she tried to struggle, but it was obvious that McGrath was going to be too strong for her. He let her resist his moves, savouring each moment of her desperate struggle. The other Infernos, who were lazily advancing towards Shivam, stopped in their tracks and wolf-whistled, eager to watch whatever it was that McGrath wanted to do to Tiyasha. And taking advantage of their distraction, Shivam shot up from the ground, ran towards Mcgrath, and kicked his stomach with all the force he could muster.

McGrath was lifted off his feet by the force of Shivam's kick, he fell on the forest floor with a loud thump.

"Look out!" Tiyasha shouted. Shivam turned towards the other men.

A knife went past Shivam's right ear. The Infernos made throwing gestures with their hands holding their mysterious knives, and more knives materialized out of thin air and sped towards Shivam and Tiyasha. Behind them, McGrath struggled up on his feet, and watched as Shivam dodged most of the knives, but couldn't save himself from the last one, which went straight into his right thigh.

"Ugh," Shivam said, and fell on the forest ground. He struggled to hold onto his consciousness. McGrath grabbed one of Tiyasha's arms and began dragging her towards the bushes.

"Aren't you a witch? Do something!" Shivam shouted, and then his vision was marred by black patches inside his brain. No, he couldn't afford to pass out now...

"Release the hounds," McGrath muttered softly to the Infernos.

As soon as the hounds were released from their leashes, they leaped towards Shivam, exposed fangs looking like daggers.

With whatever remained of his willpower Shivam tried to influence the minds of the greyhounds, and failed.

*******************************

Author's Note

*******************************

Isn't McGrath a really rational and well-behaved guy?

Also, tell me what you think of the battle scene. Specially the knives that are working like guns!