Chapter Twenty-Nine: The Plan

"Who are you?" Shivam demanded sharply. Tiyasha, Josh, and Took were all eyeing the intruder.

"I am an ex-commander of Blikrot's army," the hooded figure said, walking up to Shivam. "My name is Arthur."

Shivam stood up. He decided he didn't trust anyone who had anything to do with Blikrot. "We don't want you here," he said.

"I am not your enemy," Arthur's barritone seemed to echo around them.

"What do you want from us?" Tiyasha asked.

"Nothing. But I think we can help each other out," Arthur said.

"You said something about a problem. What is it?" Shivam asked.

"Just like you three...or four, perhaps," Arthur said, looking at Took, "I'm a fugitive, too. I left my position at Blikrot's army because I could no longer tolerate the corruption, insanity, and the programme of slaughtering every dragon there is."

"Slaughtering dragons?" Shivam's surprise was evident.

"Oh yes. Blikrot's main agenda is to kill every dragon, because he thinks dragons and humans cannot co-exist. Many Infernos have sacrificed their lives while trying to fulfil this ridiculous mission," Arthur said.

"But how are humans being able to kill dragons?" Shivam asked.

Arthur didn't reply immediately. He stared at the Trio for a few moments before asking: "You mean...you don't know?"

"No."

"It all comes back to the forest you're about to enter. The Forest of Falling Leaves. Blikrot has the blessing of it's resident dragon. He and his Infernos are invincible now."

Silence reigned. Shivam and Tiyasha looked at each other. Josh was staring with wide eyes at Arthur, his lips opened in a comically big O.

"Are you sure about this?" Tiyasha inquired. Her dreams of killing Blikrot would perhaps forever remain dreams if what Arthur had said was true.

"I am quite sure, yes. Of course, some think that it's only a rumour, some even think that what is usually said about the Forest of Falling Leaves is just a myth, but I know both of these things are true. If you can go to the resident dragon of this Forest, he will bless you, by granting your wish. Blikrot went to this dragon, and his wish was granted," Arthur said.

"How did Blikrot walk through the forest?" Josh asked, finally emerging out of his wonder.

"He didn't walk. He flew."

"Blikrot can FLY?" Josh said loudly.

"Yes he can. He can also..." Arthur said.

"Walk through mirrors," Shivam finished the sentence for him.

Now both Josh and Tiyasha were looking at Shivam. "How do YOU know that?" Tiyasha asked.

So Shivam told them about the man he had seen inside the mirror at the restaurant back in the village. How the man named Abraham had commanded him to break the mirror to prevent Blikrot from crossing over.

"Why didn't you tell us this before?" Tiyasha asked.

"We have been on the run ever since then," Shivam said quietly. "And I didn't want to terrify you."

"If you three are done with your chatting, I think we should make our plan now," Arthur said, his baritone booming.

"Plan for what?" Josh asked.

"Hundreds of Infernos are guarding the perimeter of the Forest. You don't think your little baby dragon will burn them down, do you?"

At this, Took raised his head and screeched indignantly. He began unfolding his wings, but Josh petted him and calmed him down, again.

"You must start digging your tunnel from a place that can't be seen from the border of the Forest. Let the Infernos stand guards...they would never know you passed them by," Arthur said, ignoring Took.

"But what if they stumble upon the entrance of our tunnel somehow? We would be like rats trapped in a hole..." Shivam said.

"The Infernos are only patrolling the border of the Forest, I have been observing them for some time now. They wouldn't come strolling too far from their posts," Arthur said.

Shivam thought about the whole thing for a while. Then he asked quietly: "Why are you trying to help us?"

"Because I can't travel through the Forest of Falling Leaves alone. Trust me, we're just helping each other here."

"But why do you want to go into this Forest in the first place?" Tiyasha asked.

"Because I cannot be on the run forever. I need the blessing of the Resident Dragon of this Forest, too. The people of Heart deserve a better king. Someone like me," Arthur said.

Shivam and Tiyasha looked at each other. They were both wondering whether they could trust this ex-Inferno who aspired to be the king. What if he was just a power-hungry maniac? But then Tiyasha shrugged, conveying the message that they didn't have too many options. And after all, Arthur had told them about the Infernos guarding the forest.

Shivam looked at Arthur again. "You think the people of Heart deserve you as the ruler?" He asked.

"Yes, I do," Arthur said looking directly in his eyes.

"Okay. We trust you," Shivam said.