Chapter Thirty-Five: The Gifts

"If I cannot have immortality, then at least grant that I shall be the next king," Arthur said.

This wish wasn't a surprise to the others. Arthur had made it clear early on that he believed the people of Heart needed him as their king.

"Granted, on condition that you remain alive until Blikrot dies. Ask for no more and no less, Arthur. There are forces at work that you do not understand," the dragon said.

Arthur didn't speak farther. He knew there had to be a revolution against Blikrot, and he hoped he and Shivam would be able to start one. He also hoped he would be able to stay alive until Blikrot was killed.

"What's your wish, young witch?" the dragon asked, looking at Tiyasha.

She stepped forward and said, her voice ever so slightly shaken, "I want to kill Blikrot."

The dragon shook its zurassic head in disapproval. "You can't. As your companion Arthur pointed out, Blikrot and his army are invincible to anyone born in Heart."

"But I have already defeated the Infernos once. I even turned one of them into stone."

"And you accomplished this all by yourself?" The dragon asked, and its tone indicated that it didn't believe her.

"Yes, I did. Shivam tried to help me but he got injured..."

"And yet he was with you, young lady, and that makes a lot of difference. The very presence of Shivam, who was born in another world to begin with, neutralizes my gift of invincibility to Blikrot and his Infernos. If you fight against Blikrot with Shivam alongside you, then you have the chance of defeating him, but not much for he is far too powerful. Only the wielder of the Shadowblade might be able to do it..." The dragon explained.

Tiyasha was quietened, just like everyone else. The weight of one revelation after anothwr hung in the air, like the scent of something burnt.

"Then solve our problem of food," Tiyasha said. Shivam looked at her incredulously. Food? Honestly?

"Grant that we will not suffer from food shortage, while journeying," Tiyasha said, ignoring Shivam's flabbergasted state.

"Granted. Behold the Trickstar Tiffinbox. It shall give you what you deserve when you are hungry," the dragon said. A plastic tiffin-box, appeared in mid-air, reminiscient of those Shivam used to take to school. About a thousand years ago, it now seemed to him.

Tiyasha grabbed it and asked, "How does it work?"

"Ask it for food when you are hungry," the dragon said. "And now to the tiny human, the master of the tiny dragon. What is it that you ask for?"

"Um, can I ask a question first?" Josh wheezed. He, unlike the others, didn't step forward. He decided there was no need of doing so. He was sure the dragon could hear him from where he stood.

"A question. Let me hear it then," the dragon said.

"You told my big brother to go to the Glaciers, right. But the Glaciers is thousands and thousands of miles away from here, right?"

"Yes, so it is," the dragon said.

"Then grant us all the power of flying or something, or turn us into faster travellers," Josh said. Tiyasha pursed her lips, and Shivam nodded. It was a really smart wish.

"Granted. Behold the Popcorns of Air, Kid. Chew one of this and you can move with wind, invisible to others," the dragon said. Two big plastic packets of Popcorns appeared in mid-air. "Wicked cool!" Josh said, and grabbed them. He gave one of the packets to Tiyasha, and then started hopping and bopping along in joy. "I am going to taste one, I think," he said cheerfully.

"Careful," Arthur admonished, breaking his silent observation of the proceedings.

"I have granted all your wishes. Now go, humans. You have disturbed my sleep." And with that, the dragon unfolded its wings and beated them once, producing a sound like a giant's heartbeat. Then it folded them again, and began retreating into the lake.

The trees around the clearing shook, as if caught in a storm.

Josh zoomed along the clearing and around Shivam, his shape a blur. "Huh?" Shivam said, not realizing what exactly was going on.

"That's Josh. Stupid boy tasted one of the popcorns, I think," Arthur said.

"Hey don't call me stupid," Josh said, and stopped running.

Only he didn't stop where he intended to. The inertia of motion propelled him forward, right to the cluster of trees around the clearing, and Josh stepped on at least four of the fallen leaves.

"Uh-oh," Josh wheezed.