Chapter Nine: A Haunting Voice

The river was beautiful. It flowed softly and surely, a dark entity, formidable just by its appearance. Moonlight sparkled on the water, making it look idyllic. The stars also added their pale fire to the river, which continued flowing and producing a deep sonorous sound that made Shivam feel sleepy.

When the wolves had attacked Josh, he had dropped his improvised fishing rod made up of a branch and some vines, and run. But they found it easily enough, lying on the bank of the river.

"The water's shallow over here," Josh said enthusiastically. He dug out a worm from somewhere, baited the hook, and went to work.

Fishing required patience. As Josh watched the fishing line, Shivam sat down and just looked at the river. How its waters passed them by, steady and continuous, not rushed by any worry. He sighed, and looked at the moon. Fibrous dark clouds were passing over it. Going to gather somewhere for a thundershower.

Shivam's heart seemed to choke up with emotion, as he remembered the faces of his parents. They must be worried sick by now. God knew what his mom was doing? Tears welled up in his eyes. He had been rushed by the Seamstress to cross over into this world. He wished he had a chance of informing his mother, at least.

Or maybe not. What would he have said? Hey, mom, my girlfriend is a dragon, I'm going to a parallel world to find her. You don't worry, although an insane King named Blikrot with a grudge against poetry rules there. Hm, right. It would have booked a permanent place in an asylum.

And what about Aparajita's parents? Shivam hoped her father hadn't filed a charge of kidnapping against him. He had met her father a few times, her old man always made him feel like he was a bobcat who had no business being around his daughter.

His beautiful, intelligent, trustworthy, sexy daughter. Hell, where are you, Aparajita? Why did you become an Imoogi?

"YEAH I GOT ONE!" Josh shouted, making Shivam jump. He wiped his eyes and went over to Josh to see what he had caught. He smiled to see a fairly big fish struggling on the ground. "Good catch," he said.

After about an hour, they were done fishing, and they headed back. After walking for some time, they reached Josh's "cottage"--a shack that looked weak enough to be blown away by cigarette smoke.

"I built it!" Josh said energetically. Without wasting any time, he started a fire using dead branches and sharp stones. Then he went inside his shack, and came back, magically, with salt and a knife. He patiently skinned and roasted the fish, then salted them, and gave some to Shivam. To Shivam, they were the most delicious fish he had ever tasted.

After eating, Josh declared he was tired, and trotted into his shack for sleeping. Shivam wasn't feeling sleepy. He sat beside the fire and watched it burn, as he listened to the nocturnal forest. The crickets sang; infrequently, an unknown bird called for its mate. Thunder rumbled in the distance, and its sound was chased away by a wolf's crying.

And then Shivam heard the voice--the most haunting voice he had ever heard. The voice of a woman, who seemed to be crying her heart out. It made Shivam's hair stand up. He shuddered, and stood up, and still the voice soared, the haunting voice of someone wronged, the voice of suffering darkness, waiting to find light.

***************************

GUESS WHOSE VOICE IS IT?

***************************

I KNOW YOU WILL COMMENT AND VOTE, BECAUSE I KNOW YOU ARE AN AWESOME READER! :)