Chapter 7: Emptiness

Start from the beginning

"Suffer!" Chi bellowed, gouging the chunk of its nape out. Its blood spurted out and drenched her, but she celebrated in the death of the titan. As it fell, too, she flipped into the air and whistled, calling to the horse. It ran to her aid and she landed rockily on its back, her feet catching her fall. She tossed her hair and sheathed her blades as trembles rang through the earth from the second fallen titan. Just then, the squad finally approached.

Everyone skidded to a stop and stared at Chi with wide eyes. What a sight; her brown hair was wild and tousled, billowing in the wind. Blood drenched her head to toe, slowly steaming away in thin clouds. What had intimidated them most, though, wasn't the blood.

It was her eyes.

They were gleaming their usual gold, but it seemed much more brilliant, much more spectacular; her pupils were thin, black slits. Her teeth were bared in the huge grin she wore. Chi positioned herself onto the horse, throwing her hair over her shoulder and smiling at the team.

"Chi," Eren breathed, his eyes still wide with shock. She'd taken down two titans all by herself in less than a minute. No one, even Eren, had ever seen Chi in action of taking down titans. Not one of her teammates could believe she's even toyed one of the titans, gouging out its eyes.

Despite looking calm and collected, even Levi was in utter awe.

"Vóila," Chi tittered. "Why don't we go hunt for some more titans?"

"Why didn't you save one for me?" Oluo grumbled. Chi grinned at him tauntingly, and he flinched.

"Oluo, I'm sure you'll find more," she laughed, then turned her horse around and sped off.

"Chi!" Levi called. "Chi, you damned fool, stop!" He chased after her, but quickly gave up when the distance between them had gone too far. He watched begrudgingly as Chi became a dot in the distance. Luckily, there were no titans as far as they could see.

As Chi sped away, pain bit at her excitement. "Please, just a little longer... just until I can't feel anything anymore. Numb every part of me. All of it. Everything."

~~~~~

The Elite Squadron was waiting in the stables for Chi. She ran to them, apologizing for the inconvenience of her late arrival. She'd been up most of the night, laying in bed and thinking of the feeling of Levi's lips against her own. It filled her with warmth. Honestly, how could she sleep when she couldn't even sort out her thoughts?

The next morning, everyone was already settled atop their horses—except for Levi. Chi flashed him a smile, but he glared at her, and she faltered. Then he turned and mounted his horse. Chi stiffened at the rather sudden coldness.

Confusion swarmed her head as she mounted her horse. They trotted along the trail towards the gate that led to the titan-infested land. On the journey there, she tried to talk to Levi, riding beside his stallion.

"So, uh, Levi?" she called timidly, smiling warmly. Levi didn't return it and continued to glare at her.

"What do you want, idiot?" he growled. Chi recoiled defensively.

"Iit's nothing." Then she slowed so she traveled at the back of the group.

Since when had she been so weak?

~~~~~

The Special Operations Squad—minus Chi/-traveled in a group like a pack of wolves, scanning every spot of the perimeter for two things: titans, and Chi. They never even spotted a glimpse of her, but they did come upon numerous steaming corpses. Upon close inspection, it was clear that they had been killed by none other than who their missing soldier. She'd beaten them all to it; she managed to kill every single titan within the perimeter—alone.