Chapter 26--A Fairy Tale for the Man With The Dimple

Start from the beginning

The duke offered his arm to Gabby, who looked at it for a moment before accepting it. They made a regal couple at the head of the entourage following them into the palace. Will, a brackish taste in his mouth, trailed behind.

The ceremonial meeting between the king and the duke stretched interminably while Gabby struggled to focus. Will had wandered off somewhere without saying much, so Gabby stood with Isabella by her side and said nothing while the men discussed politics, hunting, and the weather. The king showed no sign of anxiety about the queen or the baby, no matter how Gabby searched for signs. He must not know yet, or he was a very good actor.

It took a lot of self-control to keep from tapping her foot. Surely the baby had been born by now. She reached into her pocket and ran her fingers along the golden ball’s etchings, wondering what Claudio would have been doing if he’d been there.

Eventually, lunch was announced and the king led the procession into the dining hall where each place had been set with golden plates and goblets. Gabby hadn’t seen these settings since Claudio’s birthday and knew full well that they were set out in honor of the duke, not herself.

No one seemed to think it necessary that Gabby sit near the man she was supposed to marry. He sat on the king’s right hand, the queen’s usual place. Gabby was seated further down, but near enough that she could still overhear their conversation.

Will was still gone, so she picked at her meat, setting aside bits for him without realizing what she was doing.

“So,” said Isabella in a low voice. “What do you think of the Duke D’Urbino?”

A corner of Gabby’s mouth lifted into a half smile. “He’s handsome, I suppose.”

“Yes. You suppose correctly. Anything else?”

“He seems very politically savvy. Machiavelli must like that.”

“What about you?”

She shrugged. “It’s good, I guess, to be shrewd if you’re going to be a leader.”

“I’d say he and Machiavelli have very similar ideas about leadership.”

“So does the king.” Gabby sighed. The mutton had a funny aftertaste today.

“He doesn’t seem to share your interests.”

Gabby caught her frown and straightened it back into a passive expression. “It would be silly to expect a man to share my fascination with the English, or art.”

“He said he liked art.”

            “He said he liked patronizing artists because they are excellent at manipulating the ideas and emotions of the people.”

            “That’s almost the same thing.” Isabella bit her lip. It almost looked like she was trying to hide a smile.

            Gabby looked at her, “Do you want me to like him?”

            “Will likes your art.”

            “What are you getting at?” She was becoming impatient with Isabella. These comments and questions seemed so random.

            “Will also wishes he could dance with you. I can’t believe you haven’t noticed the way he watches you during dancing lessons.”

            This last comment left Gabby breathless and she couldn’t find words for a response.

            “Claudio used to look at me like that.”