Chapter 15

I glance around in the brightness of my room. Nothing has changed.

I haven’t slept all night, and now it’s eight in the morning. I never turned off the lights. Every time I close my eyes, it feels like someone is watching me, breathing down my neck. My eyes stay wide open all night. When they start to feel heavy and sting, they close, but then immediately open again, wide awake. I stay in a sitting position so I have a better view on my room. I usually like having the window open so the sun shines in during the morning, but a few hours ago, I drew the curtains shut.

Every slight movement and noise causing my pulse quicken and my heart to race. The wind picked up outside and it made a howling noise for ten minutes straight. Those ten minutes were absolute torture. I’m pretty sure I’m going insane. When I first started to grow tired, I saw something move and thought that it was a person. I jumped, but it was only a pesky spider.

When the sun does rise, however, I stay in bed. I have no job, so I have no reason to get up. The curtains cause the sun to shine an orange glow into the room, somehow making it even creepier in here. I would open the curtains, but I’m too afraid that someone will be staring back at me if I do. I’m also hesitant to venture out into the living room and kitchen in fear that someone is waiting for me in there, holding a long shiny blade with my name on it.

So,  stay in bed until I have to use the bathroom after lunch time. I sprint into the bathroom that is connected to my bedroom, then sprint right back. My stomach is growling and I’m exhausted, but I can’t sleep or leave the safety of my room.

My phone suddenly starts to go off, making me jump so violently that I fall off my bed. I answer it when I see it’s Hunter.

“Hey Harper.”

“Hi.”

“Whatcha up to? You sound like you’re out of breath.”

“Yeah… my phone scared me…”

“Of course it did.”

“What’s that supposed to mean?”

“Nothing, nothing.”

I sit up on my bed, brushing aside some stray hairs from my face. “Is there a reason why you’re calling me, Hayes?”

“Yes, actually. Are you doing anything today?”

“Um…” I lie, “Yeah. Sorry. Big interview.”

“Oh. Well.” He clears his throat.

“Why?”

“I was just going to see if you wanted to go… do something… or… something…”

“Sounds like fun. Sorry I can’t make it.”

“Yeah. It’s fine.”

“Alright. I’ll see you later.”

“Bye, Harper.”

I hang up, scanning my room for intruders. Just as before, nothing has changed. My stomach growls again. An idea pops into my head.

I call Hunter again.

“What?”

“Can you come over, please?”

“I thought you had an important interview…?”

“It’s not until later. Please, just come over with a hot pizza from Pizza Hut and something to drink.”

“Why? Do you need help with payments?”

“No, I’m fine. Just come over and bring the pizza.”

“Alright, alright. I’m coming.”