Chapter 33

A/N: Hello hayniacs! Just as a warning, there is a little bit of violence in this chapter. It's not that bad, but if you don't like reading that kind of stuff, then you can just skip the italisized paragraphs. Thanks!

Hunter's interview has changed so that it is over the phone. Now, he's wearing sweatpants and a plain black shirt instead of the flannel he had picked out.

I can't be more thankful that he doesn't have to leave to go to the interview anymore, mostly because I know that Stan is out on the streets somewhere. Even though he's a few states over, he could get here fast. I just hope he doesn't assume that I'm on tour with Hunter Hayes. All day my paranoia has been spiked. I haven't really told Hunter, but I have a feeling that something bad is going to happen.

As Hunter is finishing up his interview in the bus studio, I decide to clear my mind and take a shower. I peel my sweaty clothes off and hop into the shower once the water is warm.

While I'm getting in, my foot slips on the tile. My balance is thrown off and I crash into the wall, catching myself.

But not before the edge of the vanity rips open my healing stitches. Immediately blood pours out. Pain rips through my head as I press my hands against the throbbing wound. The red sticky liquid fills my hands.

The image sends me back to when I got the injury in that hole in the wall. I stumble to get something to help with the bleeding, but my vision clouds over as my breathing comes out in short bursts. My chest heaves. My knees give out under me, and I crawl under the steaming hot water to try to bring me out of the panic attack I feel coming on.

My hands tremble.

Blood floods into the drain.

Not now, please not now.

I close my eyes.

His sweaty hands grip tighter around my neck, cutting off my air supply. I hear something pop as pain explodes in my neck. I let out a strangled cry, my hands scratching frantically and desperately at his. My head starts to feel faint.

Just before I pass out, he lets me fall to the ground. My body slumps against the ground hard.

But I take the only chance I've gotten so far.

Using all of my fading energy, I lunge towards the opening of the hole. A grimy hand locks itself around my ankle and flings me back inside, the flesh on my head tearing open as it gets torn from a jagged nail on the ground. My throat burns as I try to scream, but nothing comes out.

His foot collides with my ribs. "Where do you think you're going?"

I gasp for air, which earns me another kick. He then runs his hand through his black and oily hair, letting out a frustrated sigh.

"Why can't you just love me back?!" Another kick. "We belong together!" Another kick. "We could've gotten married and had kids!" Kick. "Is it because I'm not famous? Huh?!" Kick. "Because I'm not a singer?" Kick. "Is it because I'm." Kick. "Not." Kick. "Hunter." "F******." Kick. "Hayes?!"

I lean over and cough up blood onto the floor, still struggling or air.

He punches the wall. "ANSWER ME!"

I slowly turn my head, giving him the meanest glare imaginable. I spit blood onto his shoe.

He kicks me in the face, his boot contacting with my jaw. I fall back. He pulls me up by my hair, pressing me up against the wall. My head lolls to the side, but he smacks me so that I look at him. I can barely keep my eyes open to lock with his green eyes. His free hand roughly squeezes my waist.

"You will love me."

There's a light knock on the door, snapping me back into reality. The once piping hot water has turned ice cold.

"Harper? Are you still in there?"

Still shaking, bleeding, shivering, and breathing shallowly, I crawl over to my clothes. "Hold on," I croak, coughing. The tears leak down my face and mix with the freezing water still covering my body. I don't dry off before putting on my sweatpants and tank top. Once covered, I try to stand, but my head spins and I remember that I'm bleeding. More carefully, but still in full-out panic mode, I crawl to the door. I twist it open with a trembling hand.

Hunter gasps.

"Harper! Shit, shit."

I gasp for air. "Hun...ter..."

"Shh, it's going to be ok-"

"Hug me," I croak.

"You sure?"

I nod desperately. And, sure enough, Hunter's arms wrap around my trembling body. The contact makes me tense at first, making Hunter start to pull away, but I grasp his arm. He pulls me closer to his warm body. I melt into his arms.

Hunter pulls me onto his lap, my back against his chest. He rubs his hands on my arms comfortingly. "Harper, try to match my breathing, okay? In." I suck in a breath as he does the same. "Out." As soon as the breath exits my lungs, I suck in a short breath again. Hunter pulls me closer to his chest, leaning his head on my head. "In... Out... In... Out..."

This goes on for about five minutes until I'm breathing exceptionally well again. I'm still caught up in Hunter's arms as he rocks me back and forth on his lap, humming. His touch is like a bliss for my body, since I haven't had any human contact in months. And being in Hunter's arms feels right. It makes me feel safe.

Eventually, Hunter notices how badly I'm bleeding. He curses under his breath before whispering, "What happened?"

I close my eyes. "Slipped," I choke out.

"Are you okay?"

I look up at him, locking my eyes with his blue ones. I smile. "I'm touching you, so yes. I am okay."

Hunter hugs me tighter before letting go completely, my cold body being deprived of his warmness.

"Where-"

"I'm getting a washcloth," Hunter says softly, stepping into the bathroom and taking out a cloth. I hear the shower turn off. When he returns, he pulls me back onto his lap and presses the washcloth against my head. My body instantly starts to warm up.

Hunter notices my shivering and envelopes one of my hands with his free one. "You're freezing, Harper."

I bury my head in the crook of his neck. "You're warm."

"You'll need your stitches redone," He tells me gently. "Do you think you could stand?"

I nod. "Yes, but do I have to? I'd rather just sit here." I close my eyes.

Hunter rubs my back soothingly. "Come on, we need to get you to the hospital."

I let out a sigh. "Fine." I get up, Hunter holding my hand. He takes my blanket from my bunk and wraps it around my shoulders. The cloth doesn't give me as much warmth as Hunter's body.

Hunter has me sit down on the couch as he instructs our driver to takes us to the hospital. When he comes back, he sits next to me. His arm wraps around my shoulders.

"Thank you."

He kisses the top of my head. "No problem."