Chapter 22

Hunter and I have been watching movies all day. He let me pick them all out, and although I would usually pick horror movies, I don’t think I’d be able to handle them, so I pick comedies. We watch Grown Ups, that one movie with Adam Sandler in it, first. After that one’s over, Hunter and I go into the kitchen and make popcorn together. When we return to the living room again, we decide to have a marathon of Adam Sandler movies. We watch Billy Madison next, and Happy Gilmore is up afterwards.

Hunter and I don’t really talk. Hunter would ask me a few casual questions, or try to start a conversation. I always fail and end up answering with short answers or not answering at all. Hunter doesn’t seem to mind, thankfully. Hunter laughs whenever something funny or comical happens. At first I make an effort to laugh a little too, but I soon give up and just watch to busy my mind.

About halfway through Billy Madison, there’s a knock on the door. Hunter pauses the movie and stands. I stand, too. He looks at me, looking confused at first, but then he gives me a small smile to tell me that it’s alright. I walk by his side as he answers the door.

Matt, Devo, Justin, and Andy are standing outside the door. They all grin when they see me by Hunter’s side, cowering like a pathetic puppy on my crutches.

I look at them, confused as to why they’re here. Aren’t they supposed to be out of town for the holiday?

“Hey! How’s our favorite couple?” Andy jokes, stepping inside. The rest follow him.

I look up at Andy, a pleading look on my face. “Please don’t, Andy. I think we all know that I’m in no way shape or form ready for that kind of relationship.” I have to cough after I say this; it’s the most I’ve said for a few hours.

Andy nods. “Right. Sorry.”

Hunter turns to Devo. “What’re you guys doing here?”

Devo shrugs. “We heard that Harper was let out of the hospital, so we decided to all carpool and take a trip here for an hour or two to say hey.”

“Hey! They were watching Billy Madison without us!” Matt calls from the living room.

Devo wags a finger at us. “Tsk tsk tsk, don’t you two know better than that? I’m a bit disappointed.”

Justin rolls his eyes. “Of course you are. Anyways, could we have a word with you, Hunter?”

I panic inside. With Hunter? As in, without me? I’d be alone for who knows how long, completely vulnerable to anyone who wants to hurt me.

Hunter sees the flicker of panic inside me and ask Justin, “Why can’t we just talk while we watch the movie? It’s at a good part.”

The band exchanges a glance. “Alright.”

I let out a quiet sigh of relief. When we all head towards the living room where Matt is, I whisper to Hunter, “Thanks.”

“Don’t mention it,” he whispers back.

I get comfy on the couch, my ankle propped up on a pillow on top of the coffee table. The guys then start to baby me, setting a blanket on me, getting me fresh ice for my ribs and ankle, and adjusting my pillows. I look at Hunter and give him an eye-roll. He shrugs, smiling cheekily.

After that movie, I have to use the restroom. I know it’s completely awkward and weird, but I have to ask Hunter to walk me down the hall to it. He stands at the end of the hall, waiting for me. I quickly do my business, then speed-wash my hands. As my time passes alone in the small bathroom, my breathing hastens and I start to feel light-headed.