Chapter 26

You’d think that just three days before the tour that Hunter and the band would be practicing very hard, pulling all-nighters to get one simple note or verse perfected. When Hunter and I go to the studio to rehearse, I was expecting seriousness and lots of effort.

Instead, everyone’s just jamming randomly. I’m lying down on the floor as everyone else is seated around the small space, holding an instrument and singing. I’m the only one who isn’t musically talented in the room, which doesn’t make me feel special, of course.

We’ve been here for hours. Lunch has already passed, but no one wanted to pause their jam session, so now I have to suffer being hungry until they’re done. Which doesn’t sound like it’s going to be soon. They keep playing random songs, some country, and some pop. The guys get Hunter to beat-box a little, which results in all of us cheering. Justin asks Hunter to beat-box again, and when he does, Justin starts to freestyle rap to it. When he gets stumped, we all clap and holler. They joke about becoming a professional rap duo.

Every time Hunter sings, I find myself thinking about last night. How he kissed my forehead, and I didn’t flip out. That must mean something, right?

After a few other random songs, they just start to play their instruments without any vocals. They play “Name That Tune” for a while until they make up new ones. When I hear a rhythm I like, I start to randomly sing to it softly, my eyes closing.

“I think of you too often

I think of you too much

But no matter the amount I see you

It will never be enough

I tried to get away

I tried to rip free

But no matter how hard I try

You’ll always be the death of me.”

I open my eyes and look around. The band is staring at me. I scoff. “Come on, guys. I know I’m an awful singer, but could you at least hide your disgust?”

They all exchange glances. Andy speaks up first. “What song was that?”

I shrug. “I don’t know, I made it up.” The guys gape. “Why?”

Hunter sits on the edge of his chair. “Guys, I think we have a song writer on our hands.”

I frown. “What?”

“You just made up a decent song on the spot,” Matt explains and snaps his fingers. “Just like that.”

My eyes widen as I sit up. “Hold on,” I tell them, holding up my hand. “First of all, that was only a chorus thing.” I pull up two fingers on my hand. “Second, it sucked.”

Devo shrugs, tuning his guitar for the thousandth time. “It has some potential.”

The guys immediately start to write down what I had sang and the melody they played on their instruments, jotting down possible new verses and bridges or riffs. They all get sucked into a musical zone, completely forgetting that I’m here.

I lean back against the wall, shaking my head. “Unbelievable.”

-

Don’t freak out. Don’t freak out.

I close my eyes.

Don’t freak out. Don’t freak out.

Hunter touches my hair. I don’t punch him in the face, which is an improvement.