Chapter 30

I wake up to whoops and hollers.

I sit up, almost hitting my head on the bunk above me. Thankfully, I don't. I open the curtain to my bunk and slip off, realizing that I'm still wearing what I wore to dinner last night. I duck into the bathroom, take off Hunter's jacket, and look into the mirror.

My orange hair is sticking up in awkward places, my eyes slightly puffy from crying last night. There are still some tear stains on my cheeks. My white shirt is also wrinkled, but it always is. I throw the jacket over my shoulder and turn on the sink. The cold water pooling in my hands feel so good, but it feels even more refreshing when it's splashed in my face. I rub the tears tains away and the redness, and pretty soon I'm starting to look normal again.

With Hunter's leather jacket still flung over my shoulder, I walk out of the bathroom and toss the jacket onto Hunter's empty bunk.

Wait.

Where's Hunter at?

I start to turn, but I run right into someone. The touch is brief, but it still sends a shudder through my body. I look up and am greeted with Hunter's bright blue eyes.

I step out of his way. "Sorry."

"It's okay." He starts walking away, but pauses. "The show starts in three hours, if you want to come."

I stare at his back since he's still facing the other way. I cross my arms. "Of course I want to come."

He nods, turns his head to give me a small smile, then walks into the bathroom to get ready. The smile causes a swarm of butterflies in my stomach to swarm. I frown.

When he disappears, I sigh.

What are you doing to me, Hayes?

-

The show is really going good. It's in Columbus, Ohio, and the audience is absolutely delightful. The people are all so kind. This one group of guys, who were all really tall, made sure that the little girl behind them could still see. Honestly, this place gives off an amazing glow.

Hunter and the band are doing great, as usual. Hunter sings Nothing To You staring directly at me the entire time, and I keep blushing and looking away. A teenaged girl standing beside me catches this exchange and leans towards me.

"Do you two know each other?" she whispers, since it's dead silent as Hunter is singing this song.

I shake my head. "He doesn't even know I exist."

She smiles. "I think he knows you exist now, considering he can't keep his eyes off of you. Lucky." She laughs quietly before resuming to watch Hunter perform.

During a really high part of Nothing To You, Hunter's voice cracks embarrassingly. His eyes widen. I finally look at him, motioning for him to keep going as though nothing even happened since he stopped playing piano. He quickly recovers and no one even notices his pause, but you'd have to be deaf to not hear that voice crack.

When he closes his eyes, I let myself laugh.

After the song, Hunter jokes about his voice crack in the mic and then goes right into I Want Crazy, making up for the mistake by doing an amazing improvised guitar solo.

Once the show is over, everyone cheers and screams. I duck out of the crowd and make it outside, climbing into the bus. I wait patiently for Hunter on the couch, ready to talk to him about last night.

And how I think I want to try to make it work. Being his girlfriend, that is. Even though it's terrifying to trust someone and date them, I've been trusting Hunter for a while now. I know that he won't let me down. Ever.