Chapter 24- Ashton Eaton

Y'all...this is it. This is the LAST chapter of ACT :'( Please enjoy!

* * * * 

Chapter 24- Ashton Eaton

I took a chance and decided to call her. Well maybe it wasn't chance and it was the comment of the woman before me that bothered me. She ruffled my feathers and made me feel a little guilty about letting Mays suffer like that. But I didn't want to suffer either. But curiosity won over my stubbornness and the comment was icing on the cake. So I called.

Of course, I used Morse code and was surprised she got it. I was kind of hoping she wouldn't so I didn't have to meet her. But it was too late. I had to meet her at the school at midnight and finally get my song back...oh and hear the reason why she needed to find me.

Now here we stand, in front of her car with my hand in hers and my other hand on her waist. It feels just like it did back at the ball. It feels...right. But I can't get too ahead of myself. 

Yes her story was something I was not expecting but it just proved that all rich folks prioritized something over something important. That they live to disappoint and make others suffer behind them.

I tried to see if Mays was lying to me or not but her eyes told me she was being one hundred percent honest. Her eyes were wide and exposed her true thoughts. She wasn't lying to me.

"Tell me. Why me?" I ask and she blinks as if snapping out of trance. A small smile tugs at her lips before a chuckle escapes.

"Unbelievable. Shouldn't that be the other way around?" she asks me and I find myself smiling as well.

"Let's just say that this wasn't the average storyline," I tell her and her chuckles die down before she smiles softly up at me, making my breath hitch slightly at how bright she looked under the light of the moon.

"No it wasn't," she tells me softly. "Now will you tell me about the other half of this song of yours?" she asks and I smirk before stepping back a little. She ignored my previous question. But I'll let it slide this once. 

"Maybe when it's done I'll sing for you," I comment and she puffs out her cheek and crosses her arms under her chest.

"Meanie," she pouts and I chuckle.

"Not the advance vocabulary expected of the school's number one student," I tell her and she rolls her eyes.

"It's all for show," she replies before she drops her hands at her sides. "So you believe me?" she asks and I stare at her with the smirk off my lips now.

"You can't lie to me anymore Mays," I tell her seriously and she bites her bottom lip before she nods and smiles sadly at me.

"I really can't," she replies before she sighs. "But you can't tell anyone. Yeah my parents weren't the greatest these past years, but I still love them. I can't see them or their name tarnished," she adds with a determined glint in her eyes. I respect that. I nod and stare down at her.

"Your wish is my command, mi'lady," I tell her with a mocking bow and she smiles before taking a step forward and holding her hand out. I take it and give it a small squeeze. 

I didn't know I was craving this until I was satisfied. I didn't know I wanted this until I got it. Mays somehow makes me feel better and I don't think I mind as much as I should. 

"Thanks, Hallway Boy," she answers softly and I smile and shake my head.

"Ashton," I tell her.